GO!

Chinese Hot/Cold Food Theory and Canine Itchology?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 8:31am PST 
I got it bad. Vet tells Mama to try some "Cold" foods in the diet. We have an info. sheet but would like to find more material and some recipes.
Can you help? Suggest some books? Advise as to useful web pages?

I am happy to eat ANYTHING (I AM a lab, after all)
Savvy!
[notify]
Buddy and Sadie

We are Brother- and Sister!

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 3:25pm PST 
Hi Savvy wave NEVER heard of this! Can you tell us more?
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 4:12pm PST 
I'm not knowledgeable on the subject but I know a few others in the raw forum that have some experience with it, you might also try posting there.
[notify]

Jackson

I LOVEEEEE You!

Barked: Thu Nov 12, '09 7:09pm PST 
I'd like to know more about this also....I received an acupuncture treatment tonight and the DOM gave me a list of hot/cold foods for myself.....I found these sites discussing it for animals:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20091104/PETS/911 040408/Food-therapy-in-Traditional-Chinese-Veterinary-Medicine

ht tp://www.vetlord.org/category/dogs/diets-2/healthy-dog-food/

Hope this helps! I'm gonna do some more research! LOVEEE this kinda stuff blue dog
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Nov 13, '09 6:40am PST 
Thanks for the replies, and we will post again when we have more info. I have to go back to the vet and mama is going to ask her for sources. We haven't been able to find much and mama is a professional researcher! But she hasn't had time to go through a book on Chinese Medicine yet, maybe we will.

We are also going to visit a local health store that also carries pet products. Perhaps some info. can be found there!

Savvy!

Edited to add - thanks in particular Jackson! Those sites were quite informative. Mama made us a "stew" with brown rice, turkey and spinach and we find we REALLY like it.

Today she is going shopping for leafy greens, whitefish and some other items. Seafood Supper on the way!

Edited by author Fri Nov 13, '09 6:52am PST

[notify]
spike

Barked: Fri Nov 13, '09 8:45am PST 
hello, my mom is chinese. she is not really into hot / cold food theory, but just last night she was told by an experienced dog owner to feed me mung bean soup (mung bean soaked then boiled in water). apparently its great for dogs in reducing the "hotness" from eating too much dried kibbles which are baked. once a week.

for humans (some dog friendly food):
COOL FOOD
pear
apple
duck

COLD FOOD
water melon
banana
rabbit

WARM FOOD
pumkin
beef
lamb
chicken
deer

hope it helps
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Nov 13, '09 8:50am PST 
thank you, charming spike!

This will be useful - we have lots of apples! I can have them for a snack!
[notify]