GO!

Potato Free Dog food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Nubi CGC, SD

Hi, my name is- [Squirrel!] ...- uh. Nubi.

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 1:53pm PST 
I know Nature's Variety is potato free, and so is the new Evo Fish formula, but does anyone know of any others?? My dog does not tolerate potato, even if it has oatmeal as the carb source is good, but a single source carb would be better, like, chicken meal, chicken, fish, oatmeal, etc.
[notify]
Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 3:26pm PST 
I don't know if these would be any help at all, but I can think of 2 grain-free, potato-free dog foods:

Great Life
Horizon Legacy

smile
[notify]
Allie - RIP

Mom thinks I'm- just BEAUTIFUL - am I?

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 3:32pm PST 
There are a number of kibbles that use sweet potato instead of white potato. If your dog can eat sweet potato, you could look at Pinnacle (trout version), Healthwise lamb, Acana, and Fromms for starters. I think some Natural Balance formulations avoid potato, too, but check ingredient lists for all these foods, as I may be wrong....Ingredient-wise, the NB's are probably the simplest formulations, so those are often good for dogs with allergies. California Natural has limited ingredients, too - using rice or sweet potato as the carb. Price-wise, the Healthwise by Natura (makers of Evo and Cal Nat) is probably the least expensive, and is a pretty good food, especially the lamb.

I have yet to hear of a dog that can't tolerate sweet potatoes, but I suppose he or she is out there!

Edited by author Wed Nov 4, '09 3:35pm PST

[notify]

Buddy and Sadie

We are Brother- and Sister!

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 3:38pm PST 
Buddy and Sadie didn't do so hot on Acana or Orijen, so I wondered if it's the sweet potato. shrug
[notify]
Roy

Spoiled- Rotten!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 3:43pm PST 
OK, I came in here today just to look for an answer to something that Pedigree sent me. They had said something about having a safe Thanksgiving Holiday, and then this;"Thanksgiving meals may have all your favorites, but imagine what can happen to your dog if he chows down on mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie. Keep in mind that the potential risks of feeding him Thanksgiving leftovers far outweigh his momentary delight. A little restraint and a yummy chew toy will keep your dog safe this Thanksgiving and for many holidays to come."
My dog loves sweet potatoes and regular mashed potatoes. What's wrong with that? I thought they were good for dogs.
Please help, I don't want to give my dog something that might make him sick in the long run.
Thanks,
Roy's Meemaw
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 3:54pm PST 
Yes the Horizon Legacy is potato-free. As is Nature's Variety Instinct (I think.) California Natural lamb/rice could be an option too. Also, Evo has reformulated their Reduced Fat formula (which is now called Weight Management) and they took the potato out of that formula. I know because we recieved some of the new samples at my store.
[notify]
Buddy and Sadie

We are Brother- and Sister!

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 4:04pm PST 
Hi Roy! wave I don't know exactly, but I'm thinking they say that because someone might think it's ok to feed their dogs traditional sweet potatoes with syrup, or mashed potatoes with butter, etc? Maybe that's why? I think if a pup does well with potatoes, that's alright! big grin
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 4:04pm PST 
Most of the good and better grained dog foods are potato free. Premium Edge, Solid Gold, Canidae, etc all do not contain potatoes in most of their grained formulas.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 4:25pm PST 
Roy, according to the Humane Society, potatoes are toxic to dogs. However, I believe it's only the skin and stems and such. Cooked potatoes used in dog food are fine.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_h ousehold_dangers/foods_potentially_poisonous_to_pets.html
[notify]
Tinker

Go big or go- home

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 4:45pm PST 
I think Nature's Logic is potato free. I haven't tried but have heard good things about it wave
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3