GO!

Whole Earth Farms dog food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Fri Oct 2, '09 10:10pm PST 
I drove out to a feed store today and saw they had a food called Whole Earth Farms. The protein level is 28% and they don't have anything added besides egg that would boost the protein level. It is made by one of the better dog food companies, can't remember which one off the top of my head. It appears to be a pretty good food, they had a trial sized back for only fifty cents per pound and the regular price for larger sizes is only one dollar per pound which is about the same I see Diamond Naturals going for and it is a much better product so far as I can tell. It does have four sources of grain in the first eight ingredients which is a concern, but it also appears to have a good deal of meat in it, a good range of probiotics and amino acid complexes as well. I'm thinking of adding it in a rotation. Daddy has done really well on Natural Balance Ultra Premium but this looks to have more meat content so I'm thinking of switching to this in a rotation instead of the Natural Balance (it's also a better price than Natural Balance for seemingly a better product, and I can support a non-chain business that doesn't sell puppy/kitten/pet mill animals by buying from there).

I can't find the ingredients or food listed on Google, this is the first time I've seen or heard of it, and it's not even up on the Dog Food Analysis site so I'm assuming it's fairly new. Here are the ingredients and guaranteed analysis of the food, had to type it all out by hand.

Crude Protein: (not less than) 28%
Crude fat (not less than) 18%
Crude fiber (not more than) 3%
1,700 kcal per pound

Chicken meal, turkey Meal, oat meal, pearled barley, ground millet, ground barley, chicken fat (as a preservative with mixed tocopherols), duck, buffalo, whitefish, natural chicken liver flavor, salmon oil, organic sun-cured alfalfa, tomato pomace, dried egg, organic sunflower seed, salt, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, lysine, dried blueberry, dried cranberry, yucca schidigera extract, inulin (from chicory root), rosemary, sage, thyme, cinnamon, marigold dried, zinc amino acid complex, enterococcus faecium, lactobacillus plantarum, lacto bacillus casei, iron amino acid complex, vitamin E supplement, manganese amino acid complex, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, copper amino acid complex, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3, niacin, lecithin, riboflavin supplement, biotin, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, pyridoxine hydrochlroride, cobalt amino acid complex, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, sodium selenite

So, what do you all think of it? Any opinions would be great.

Edited by author Fri Oct 2, '09 10:11pm PST

[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Oct 2, '09 10:53pm PST 
It's Merrick's new food. Not bad. Not bad at all.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sat Oct 3, '09 8:53am PST 
I wouldn't have any trouble feeding it. Too bad my nearest Merrick dealer is 47 miles away - not that I need any food right now. It looks like a good find.
[notify]

Scout

Give me a kiss!!

Barked: Sat Oct 3, '09 12:36pm PST 
Definately better than Diamond Naturals. I'd feed it if I fed kibble.way to go
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sat Oct 3, '09 8:34pm PST 
Alright, just wanted to get some opinions on it, a few things threw me off a bit, like how many grain sources there were but the protein level was still 28% and didn't have anything like potato protein/soy added that would affect the protein levels making it look like there was more meat. I also don't know why so many of the meat sources are after the first fat source, if they switched the grains with the other meat sources it'd be a jackpot, especially for the price. I've decided to try it and replace the Natural Balance I was feeding with this since it looks like it has more meat and the protein level is higher, it also has some extras that Natural Balance Ultra Premium didn't have. He's still got two more weeks of prey model raw left, and once that's done we'll give this new food a try in his rotation.

For the record, I've never and don't plan on feeding Diamond Naturals, but I was really surprised to see this, a better product, is the same price per pound as the Diamond Naturals food. I just really hope the store I found it at keeps carrying it, they tend to drop foods if not enough people are buying them, as it is I think they stopped selling Canidae, and never got the Canidae Grain Free foods in because there wasn't a high enough demand for it.

Edited by author Sat Oct 3, '09 8:41pm PST

[notify]
Lola

Little Bear

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 2:24pm PST 
I just bought some of the Whole Earth Farms Adult Formula wet food at the nearest Merrick dealer (about 20 miles away). It looks pretty good, with 5 of the first 6 ingredients being meat. It comes in 13.2 oz cans and was on sale for $1.35 per can, which is a great deal. I usually feed my black Lab Chicken Soup Adult wet food, but I'm going to give this a shot.

First Ten Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Duck, Buffalo, Whitefish, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Sweet Potato, Frozen Peas, Dried Egg...

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein: NLT 9%
Crude Fat: NLT 6%
Crude Fiber: NMT 1.50%
Moisture: NMT 78%
DHA: NLT 250 mg/Kg

Calorie Content:
994 kcal/kg - A 13.2 oz. can provides 378 calories of metabolizable energy (calculated).
[notify]
Scotch

It's all tricks,- fun, and games!!

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 10:19pm PST 
This JUST happened to me too!!! I was surprised I hadn't heard of it before having seen it on the shelf of the feed store. Thank You for posting the ingredient list and info. Sounds like a pretty decent food actually. Especially if they keep their prices decent as well. I am curious how it will do. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to feed it, as my dogs have to be on strict allergy diets.

Just wondering, but why do you want to feed a kibble with a higher protein and fat content? These foods(high protein/fat foods) typically burn my dogs coats, so I was just wondering what the appeal is. Natural Balance is a good food/company; have you ever tried California Natural?

Thanks again - hope you have a great evening!
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Tue Oct 13, '09 1:40am PST 
Burn their coats? What does that mean exactly?

Lots of dogs around here do better on higher protein/fat foods than the lowish ones like NB LID and Cal. Nat. Not all, but that's why the 28% protein was viewed as a positive.
[notify]
Lily

They call me- 'Little'

Barked: Tue Oct 13, '09 4:17am PST 
Lola,

I went onto Merrick's site and first five ingredients show that this is a grain-heavy food:

Ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Oat Meal, Pearled Barley, Ground Rice,Ground Millet, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E)
Duck, Buffalo, White Fish, Natural Chicken Liver Flavor, Salmon Oil (a natural source of Omega-3, Docosahexaenoic Acid-DHA)*, Organic Alfalfa Sun-cured ground, Yeast Culture, Tomato Pomace Dried , Dried Egg,Organic Sunflower Seed Ground, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride,
Choline Chloride, Lysine, Blueberry Dried, Cranberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract,Inulin (from Chicory Root), Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Cinnamon, Marigold Dried, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei,Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex,
Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement,
Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin, Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,
Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

LOLA ---OOOPS! I just saw that you were referring to the canned food. Sorry...

SCOTCH - I'm also interested in hearing how the high protein/high fat foods 'burned' your dog's coat. thinking

Edited by author Tue Oct 13, '09 4:20am PST

[notify]
The P, B & J- Poms!

Parker,- Jack-Jack and- Bebe Belle!

Barked: Tue Oct 13, '09 5:56am PST 
I had the opportunity to talk to my Merrick rep about the food a week or so ago. It's pretty much their "getting people off of grocery brands" food. I'm not a fan of it- it's too grain heavy for my liking. The packaging is ugly and will be overlooked. For a lower cost food, I much prefer Evanger's and won't be bringing in WEF for the foreseeable future.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3