GO!

How much Blue Buffalo do I feed???

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥- Babe- ♥

I am a puppy in- a big dog suit!

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 8:58am PST 
My dogs both way around 70 lbs. How much Blue Buff should I feed? The bag says feed 3-4 cups! Should I feed less than that? We have been giving them a cup and a third. Thanx! smile smile smile smile
[notify]
Mr. Kite "Sumo"

being for the- benefit of mr.- kite.

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 9:06am PST 
hmm a cup and third sounds like too little to me.

considering sumo eats 2/3 cup twice a day and he weighs
15lbs.

shooter weighs 50lbs and he eats 3 cups of science diet (not my choice)

i'm really not sure how much you would feed a 70lb dog, maybe someone else can help you with that. sumo is still on puppy formula.
[notify]
Petey

Petey Pablo the- Little Pan Man

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 9:49am PST 
I think it depends on your dog. If they start loosing weight (and they don't need to) add about 10-20%. If they gain weight, cut back. Little dogs often need much more per pound that a larger dog. I know my chihuahua probably could survive off of a 1/2 cup of food (and not loose weight) and he is 12 lbs! he eats a ton less than what is recommended on the bag.laugh out loud
[notify]

Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 10:01am PST 
Princess Babe, I would weigh both dogs again and record their exact weight. Then up them to 3 cups per day, the lower end of the suggested range. Weigh them again in two weeks and see how they're doing. If they've dropped weight they do not need to lose, increase their portions. If they've gained unnecessary weight, cut them back a bit. From there you can just eyeball it - if they seem to be getting too heavy or too lean, adjust their portions accordingly. The portions you are mentioning do seem too little, though.
[notify]
Pip

The fridge is- opening!

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 11:11am PST 
Which formula of Blue are you feeding? It depends on the formula, as you have to calculate the number of calories your dog needs per day and the number of calories per cup.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 11:39am PST 
One step makes it easier than Pip wrote. Figure the calories you fed of the old stuff and for right now feed the same calories of the BB. Then you won't be starving or overfeeding by much and can adjust from there. dog food analysis has a calorie count for most of the kibbles posted.
[notify]
Maci

Mommy's little- Piggy!

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 12:13pm PST 
Blue Buffalo has quite alot of calories.... you do not want to over feed your dog on this food unless she needs to gain weight....

what flavor of blue buffalo did you buy???

IMO she should have 2 cups per day and you could split that up into 2 meals.... 1 cup of a morning 1 cup of the evening...

a 70lb dog needs to eat about 1100 calories per day..... no more than that unless they need to gain weight...

and if they need to lose weight less than that.... but 1100 keeps her at her 70lbs

look on the bag it says X amount of calories per cup.... give her as close to 1100 calories as possible
[notify]
♥- Babe- ♥

I am a puppy in- a big dog suit!

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 12:22pm PST 
to all who asked what type of bb they're on---weight control becuz they gain weight really easy smile
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 1:11pm PST 
Uno is 70 lbs and eats a tad bit less then 2 cups a day.
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Tue Aug 11, '09 7:37pm PST 
yeah start with 3 cups and see how that goes
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2