GO!

How many calories are in a rawhide?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Connor

Never met a- foodstuff I- didn't like.

Barked: Thu Aug 6, '09 12:21pm PST 
Poor Connor--he's overweight largely because, before Animal Control took him from his owners, he never got fed or watered regularly. So, when there's food, he eats. ALL of it. Being a newbie dog owner, I followed the directions on the IAMS bag and fed him 1 cup of food for 10 pounds of dog. He was 76 pounds the day I brought him home--and he put on 8 pounds in three weeks of getting 8 cups of food daily!

I've been carefully measuring and monitoring to ensure he's not eating my other dog's food, but he's still not losing weight. The one thing he does get regularly is a 12-inch rawhide, which he chews until it's gone. He used to get one every day when I was working. Now, it's more like two a week.

Last night, he went around the kitchen and laundry room, scavenging for any kibble I might have dropped. It broke my heart. He's just not full--and I hate when my plate is empty and I still feel hungry. (Yes, I know about green beans. He's not that into them.)

Anyone know how much damage I'm doing to his weight loss plan with the rawhides? Any other ideas to help Connor feel sated?
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Thu Aug 6, '09 12:52pm PST 
Have you looked into a higher quality kibble? Iams is not very satisfying and may be why he is still scavenging for food after dinner. 8 cups of food a day is alot, and I'm assuming alot of that comes out the other end as waste. If you were to get a higher quality kibble you would only need to feed about 3-4 cups a day, if that. Check out Sedona's "so you are confused by dog food" thread. I went ahead and bumped it to the top of the list for ya! That will help you pick out a good, healthy food for Connor!

As for your question about calories in a rawhide, I have no idea sorry.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Aug 6, '09 1:21pm PST 
That is too much food! My dog is an over 100lbs growing puppy and he doesn't even eat that much!! Your dog really should only be eating 4 cups max, generally the dog food bags - across the board - overestimate on feeding. As for rawhides, they are actually really low in fat/calories. Also, how much are you exercising him? A shepherd mix should be getting at least two good walks a day.
[notify]

Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Thu Aug 6, '09 1:44pm PST 
Keep in mind that the food instructions are for maintenance, not weight loss.
That is an extraordinary amount of food. I feed my Bandogge Mastiff, Mollie, only four cups a day and she's a little porky herself sometimes. She weighs 100 pounds, ideal weight. Mollie is on a grain free food, as well. If it were a food with grain ingredients, I suppose I'd have to feed her less because of the carb content.
Iams is a very expensive food to feed and the quality is not that great. You can look into Taste of the Wild- it's grain free and probably a little cheaper, and you have to feed less than half the amount you're feeding right now.
[notify]
Sonny Jim

Franks say that- I'm BACK IN- BLACK!

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 12:22am PST 
How long have you had him now?

Sonny Jim was a bit on the 'starved' side when we got him -- very 'ribby' and with a dull coat and dandruff. He put on about 11 or so pounds in 2 weeks, then he leveled off and put a bit more weight on slowly, over about a year. He was so hungry and so wary about his food -- not that he ever actually guarded it from us humans -- that he 'insisted' on being locked in his crate to eat. He heard the sound of kibble & ran to his crate. He waited for us to 'click' the catch....shock

Now he's at a good weight with a lovely shiny coat, but he still wants to supplement his diet with cat food. laugh out loud

Many dogs tend to scavenge around, whether for kibble bits, human food crumbs, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are 'starving' -- it's just sort of a dog thing. thinking

Also, sometimes when certain dogs are bored or a bit nervous, it can mean they need more stimulation in the form of play, stuff to do, etc. "Interactive treat-dispensing' toys are good for this.
You might want to feed some of his kibble in Tug-A-Jug or a Busy Buddy Kibble toy. Busy Buddy Toys. This will make him do a little 'work' for his food.

Also, since he's not a puppy, it may take encouragement for him to get 'into' such a toy. I'm dealing with this problem right now.

As the other posters said, the kibble you are feeding is not the greatest. Check out Sedona's thread. It's full of tasty advice and explanations.

You will likely be amazed at how much less of a higher quality dog food your guy will require. I sure was! smile
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 10:52am PST 
Yeah! A puzzle toy will help that scavanging behavior! If he's gulping his food -- like most dogs do -- then slowing him down with a puzzle toy is not only fun but it can help prevent deadly bloat.

Rawhides are pretty nasty. They are fatty like you suspect, since they're hide. And, in my experience anyway, they cause bad breath and farts. And they're often bleached! Scary.

Pick up a beef saddle knuckle bone the next time you're in the pet store or butchers (raw bone is better/safer/healthier). Discovering these for my power chewer was a real gift. Appropriate bones last longer, are a healthy source of calcium and fiber (help out the poopies), actually HELP clean teeth, and don't contribute to weight problems. And your dog may have a real positive change in behavior when he gets an appropriate outlet for his instinctual chewing urge. May help him feel "satisfied".

blue dog

Beware "look-a-likes" and dangerous bones: marrow bone, soup bone, cow hoof, bleached bone, and bones that are too small for the dog which can splinter and cause damage. I would add rawhides in this list, but you're already having that problem. The ideal bone should be about the size of the dog's head. Smaller dogs have more variety (like lamb and pork bones), but who needs that stuff when you have beef joints?
cloud 9
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 3:06pm PST 
Reading the title of this thread I wanted to stop by and say that rawhides ideally shouldn't contribute any calories to the diet, seeing as they're not supposed to be eaten. They are not adequately digestable in the form that you buy them in, and can pose a very serious choking and/or blockage problem. It is, of course, ridiculous that a rawhide would be given to a dog that the person didn't expect the dog to eat, becuase that's what it makes sense to the dog to do with it! Ugh. Rawhides are just a bad idea all around.

You got some great suggestions from the others regarding suitable rawhide alternatives, and about a better plan to help Connor lose the weight and get back to being a healthy happy dog! Can't wait to hear how it's going!
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 3:13pm PST 
WOW brodie is 60 pounds and only eats 2-2.5 cups a day of Natural Balance or Taste of the Wild.
U can feed less of a higher quality food.
Just cut back for weight loss.

Brodie can't have many rawhide type stuff as he will chew it til it's soggy and try to swallow whole.
I do however buy the doggies those little thin twisty rawhides for the occasional snack.

Edited by author Fri Aug 7, '09 3:15pm PST

[notify]
In Loving- Memory of- Chance

The dog who- didn't stand a- chance

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 11:35am PST 
Even when I fed Iams... Chance is a dog weighing about as much as your dog when not overweight, ten pounds more when overweight. He only got about 5 cups Iams. And even then, he stayed a bit chunky. 8 cups seems way to much... even for Iams. thinking
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 2:39pm PST 
never follow directions on the label unless your dog is lactating or VERY active. Gee if I followed the bag instructions, I would have an obese dog LOL. Trust your instincts are test out different amounts to see which suits him.

And another thing iams, tends to be a low quality brand with a ton of carbs. Chocolate has done great on CORE reduced fat. unlike other weight managment dog foods that add more carbs and less fat AND protein, CORE is high protein,low carb,low fat,and moderate fiber. So I love it, works great for him

Also I do think that rawhide is adding a TON of calories to his diet. 12 inches is big. I don't give rawhide anymore, besides, they can expand in your dog's stomach. For daily oral maintnence and chewing fun, Chocolate gets 1 greenies senior a day(petite size)

Edited by author Sat Aug 8, '09 2:49pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2