GO!

Coconut okay for Dogs?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Samwise- Gamgee

JellyBean

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 6:40pm PST 
I was reading where someone was giving their dog whole coconuts to chew and play with. The dog was an avid chewer and the whole coconut would keep the dog busy for awhile. I also have an avid chewer and was wondering if it would be okay to give him a whole coconut for him to gradually work on. Right now I give him large beef and Ham bones but I wonder about the quality of these bones. I was just wondering if it would be okay to give my dog whole coconuts.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 7:43pm PST 
Coconut meat is safe for dogs. I feed coconut oil because it supposedly has antibacterial properties that help anal glands, and is good for the skin and digestive tract. The meat is mostly fiber.

However, I don't know if a coconut would make a good chew toy.

Personally, I won't let my dogs chew on anything harder than their teeth. So large weight baring bones like beef knuckles are out. If it's harder than their teeth and they're at all driven to chew, it can and most likely will eventually break a tooth. If the bones are cooked, as most ham bones and all "smoked" bones are, pieces can splinter off and cause all the problems you always hear about cooked poultry bones.

Edited by author Sun Mar 15, '09 7:45pm PST

[notify]
Samwise- Gamgee

JellyBean

Barked: Mon Mar 16, '09 1:05pm PST 
I was worried about the bones for that reason and the fact that who knows what animal the bone came from. It could have come from the healthiest pig on the farm or the sickest. But rawhides and regular chew toys just aren't enough for my dog. Sam chews raw hides so fast that he actually gets full off of them (which I really doubt that they are nutritious enough to sustain him for any length of time). Heavy duty chew toys are always hidden in the back yard which leaves him nothing to chew while he is inside. Bones seem to be some of the only things that he is possesive enough to keep track of whether they are inside or out. It keeps him from eating stuff he isn't suppossed to have. I mean, Sam has gone as far as to eat the baseboards out of the family room and to eat the hardwood floors in the entrance way.

That is why I was wondering about coconut. Maybe a little better than bones but heavy duty enough that I won't need to get him one giant rawhide bone a day.
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Mar 16, '09 3:41pm PST 
I'm sure some dogs in tropical regions chew coconuts, but I have no idea what condition their teeth are in. Some animals, like the coatimundi are made to go through coconuts and have no problem, but I wouldn't know about dogs? Sorry I can't be more helpful!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 8:00am PST 
If you live where coconuts fall off palm trees on a regular basis, crack one open. It's harder than it sounds. You may need an ax or a hammer and screw driver! Dogs love the milk inside. And then, sure, give the pup half a coconut to shred! My dogs scrape out the white inside part and sometimes start shredding the strands of the shell. No broken teeth. And coconut is SO good for them!
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 9:15am PST 
You can get coconut with the outside hard cover shaved off already. I sometimes share my coconut chunks with my dogs smile they love it! Though I don't think a whole coconut would last very long at all as a chew toy..
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 12:46pm PST 
Saya and Bella loves coconut oil and coconut flakes. Be sure they're the unsweetened kind.. I only give as yummy treat they really like it.

I add coconut flakes to their home made dog treats. hehe

Not sure with the coconut if it's safe to chew..
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 10:01pm PST 
Cindy's first dog, Sato, LOVED fresh coconut and got it about once a week when they lived in Hawaii. She would follow Cindy around watching her, waiting for her to crack open the coconut. There's a trick to it...if you look at the end of the coconut you can see three "dots"...orient it so two dots are on top and one below...think of it like eyes and a mouth. Then take a hammer and hit the coconut "on top of the head between the eyes." Sato, Cindy's dog, ate big chunks of coconut that still had the inner peel on it. Her coat looked awesome and she loved the stuff. She was Shepherd-Elkhound mix, and she could munch through that coconut pretty fast...

Edited by author Thu Jul 5, '12 10:02pm PST

[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 10:05pm PST 
I dug this up from
http://gooddogfoodcompany.com/archives/116-coconut-an-unassuming-sup er-food-november-15-2010

I do not frequent that site, but it had an interesting article on coconut as a superfood and discussed the benefits at length.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 9:09am PST 
We would get coconuts from the keys and bring them home as "toys" for the dogs! They loved them! cheercheer The fibers on the outside are like dental floss...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2