GO!

Trader Joe's dog food...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 10:08pm PST 
Does anydog actually have a bag of Trader Joe's dog food? What are the chances some pup can post the ingredients with the basic Gauranteed Analysis? I found this online, but it was posted in another forum and I don't know if it's accurate or not...

Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground barley, Fish Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat (Naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary Extract), Dried Beet Pulp, Amaranth, Oatmeal, Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Canola Oil, Dehydrated Apples, Cheese Meal, Ground Carrot Cubes, Air Dried Peas, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Chicory Extract, Blueberries, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dandelion, Garlic, Aspergillus Oryzae, Fermentation Soluables, B. Subtillus Fermentation Soluables, Enterococcus Faecium, and Lactobacillius Acidophilus.

I was looking at it at the store and thought I'd be able to find it online... but so far no luck... It didn't look too bad to me just reading the label in the store... Like I said, I don't know if this is accurate or not... but I was cosidering this food... (it is really inexpensive!)... but I wanted to do some further research.. According to this, they do add salt, and there isn't a ton of protein, but I don't have a problem supplementing that... any thoughts? Or anypup have any experience with this food?thinking
[notify]
Jasmine Lula CGC, TDI

Too Human To Be- A Dog

Barked: Thu Jan 1, '09 5:49am PST 
When I was there the other day I looked at their canned food, which was pretty bad in ingredients. I'm not sure about the dry food. Maybe you can email the company and ask?

When looking online I did find that is been recalled... they use Menu foods.

Edited by author Thu Jan 1, '09 5:51am PST

[notify]
Max

Barked: Thu Jan 1, '09 11:43pm PST 
I saw online that it was made by Bench and Fields, not Menu... I will have to find out for sure- I defintely would not feed anything from Menu! I went to Bench and Field's website, but their line of dog food didn't look to good to me, either. I will have to ask... I'm going back there on Monday, so I'll find a manager and ask and if they don't know I'll get an email... I am not likely to switch personally, but their prices are very reasonable (think under $20 for a 30lb bag) and I thought it might be a good recommendation for a few people I know who feed fairly cheap grocery store brands (like my college student neighbor!)... In addition, there's a store pretty close to our house... but, I want to know what I'm talking about first! I will contact Trader Joe's... I really want her pup off pedigree!
[notify]

Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Thu Jan 1, '09 11:46pm PST 
I'm pretty sure Menu makes only canned foods.

I saw the Bench and Field thing too and it does appear the TJ food is made by them. I couldn't say for certain.
[notify]
Max

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 12:12am PST 
I am going to get some more information, but as my husband pointed out a few minutes ago... It is definitely better than Pedigree if for no other reason than that it doesn't have corn (hard to be worse!)! And it has the advantage of costing about the same- $18 for a 30lb bag! I am going to go ahead and tell her to check it out... She's interested in better foods, but she's cash-strapped (she's lucky, her parent's bought her house in our subdivision so she lives for free, but her only income is work study... which I can well remember living on!)... She has the cutest American Staffordshire Terrier puppy named Capone...

Btw, Sedona, Turns out Max is allergic to Beef! So we'll be going back to the regular Innova after all from the Red Meat formula... and I was so excited... naughty

Edited by author Fri Jan 2, '09 12:14am PST

[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 12:19am PST 
Dang it Max! You're not supposed to be allergic to beef.frown

Eww, work study. I remember that too. Didn't get paid squat.confused The Hubs is right. This stuff has got to be better than Pedigree. I hope it is in her price range!

We don't have a funny name for Pedigree yet. Well, except for that eastern European guy who called it Pedigree Fatality when speaking to me one night. That's pretty funny.dancing

Edited by author Fri Jan 2, '09 12:22am PST

[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 9:21am PST 
PEDIGREE FATALITY!!?! shocklaugh out loudbig laugh

That's almost as good as the lady who asked if we carried "euthanasia dog food" eek She meant Eukanuba!
[notify]