GO!

Almonds - Good or bad?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lucy

Born to be cute

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 1:32pm PST 
shrug

Are almonds good for dogs?
I know that peanuts are not good for them, but what about other nuts (cashews, walnuts, almonds, etc...)
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 1:58pm PST 
I was just on a site that listed foods that are toxic to dogs. Almonds were on the list. Peanuts weren't.

I was not happy. My dogs love almonds. Make that past tense - loved. They won't get them any more.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 1:58pm PST 
Almonds are good - the salt that is on them is not. Most nuts are good for dogs except Macadamia nuts - they have a toxic effect.
[notify]

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 1:59pm PST 
Hey Lily, I never heard that before - my dogs always get a couple almonds when I am eating them. Huh . . .
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 2:04pm PST 
OK, the internet sucks! On some sites it says that only Macadamia nuts are toxic. Other sites said that Walnuts and Brazil nuts are toxic. I didn't see anything about almonds, but one site did say that all nuts are bad for dogs because they cause kidney stones. What is one to believe?
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 2:12pm PST 
I've always heard almonds were bad, but I go with the no nuts at all policy.
[notify]
Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 2:25pm PST 
BAD. It is an amount thing with nuts, and some dog foods even include small amounts of almond as a natural source of vitamin E. Personally, I think they should find a different source. I've heard enough different nuts are toxic that I try to avoid all of them. One or two won't hurt most dogs. Belle loved them. But, I also know a dog that had seizures from eating almonds. And another who spent the night at the E vet on fluids because she ate macadamia nuts.

Edited by author Mon Nov 3, '08 2:27pm PST

[notify]
Lucy

Born to be cute

Barked: Mon Nov 3, '08 5:27pm PST 
Well I guess Lucy won't be getting almonds. I'm putting into effect the no nuts policy.
[notify]
Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Tue Nov 4, '08 11:29am PST 
Well then what about Peanut butter? I wuv it... is it bad for me too?cryconfusedshock
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue Nov 4, '08 11:56am PST 
I think when they talk about a lot of different nuts they are talking about nuts with the shells on - some of the shells are poisonous.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3