GO!

Starving Dog Syndrome!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
♥- Smokey- ♥

I Want A Butt- Rub!

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 4:50am PST 
OK I have a question, we have 2 dogs Smokey a purebred 65 pound Siberian and Buddy a 75 pound (a year ago) Border Collie mix. Both dogs were a bit overweight. Smokey lost 10 pounds and is in great health now. Buddy goes to the vet next month. Buddy always acts like he is starving! We feed 2 cups a day (TOTW all 3 varieties). I think Buddy has actually gotten to skinny now. He is technically my 15 year old daughter's dog. He has longish black fur so it is really hard to see his bones but you can definately feel them quite easily. I just checked the bag ... feeding guidelines 60 - 80 pound adult dog = 3.5 cups a day! We used to feed 2.5 cups and lots of treats. We have virtually cut out treats. How can I make her see he needs more food or should I just wait and see what the vet says? For the record Smokey does just fine on 2 cups.
[notify]
Lady, CGC

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 5:15am PST 
I don't always feed by the guidelines, but it does sound like he could use a bit more food. I would be curious as to what the vet says, as there COULD be something there. As for your daughter, just tell her to ramp up the food, ESPECIALLY if you can feel spine and hip bones.

Technically, a dog should have a "tuck", an indent between ribs and back legs (very noticeable in breeds like the greyhound, not so much in the bulldogs and doxies), a waistline and you should feel the ribs, though not see them. The spine jutting up and/or the hip bones sticking out are NEVER good signs and could be signs of health issues and/or of under-nourishment.
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 6:14am PST 
There are also a lot of medical issues that can cause weight loss, so I would wait to see what the vet says.

Also agree with the above poster. I have people tell me all the time that my dogs are way too skinny, and I know that they are both a perfect weight for their frame. Most people just don't really know what that looks like, I don't think. smile

Also, if you get him to a good weight on a certain amount of food and he still acts like he's starving, you can add green beans to his meals. They help the dog feel full without adding a ton of extra calories. wink
[notify]

Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 10:14am PST 
A lot of people I meet, their dogs are a little/quite a bit overweight but they think that it is my dog who is too skinny. I just ignore them. I know my dog's weight is perfect right now, and you are supposed to feel the ribs easily actually. I don't really follow guidelines on the bag. I mean, I know what it is roughly for my dog's size, but it always depends on metabolism and activity level. If she drops too much weight (I can see it easily when she goes down to about 70 lbs), I'll just increase her food. If she gets a tad chubby (she has been as much as 78 lbs since she's been with me), I reduce. I think that I finally have it down about right by now! When I adopted her she was 65 lbs skinny!!!

Edited by author Fri Oct 31, '08 10:21am PST

[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 10:16am PST 
you can look at this:

http://www.longliveyourdog.com/TwoPlus/RateYourDog.aspx

ps who cares if it's Purina it's just to illutrate! laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Oct 31, '08 10:18am PST

[notify]
Mason

The skinny fat- dog!

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 10:30am PST 
Mason and Thea weigh right around the same weight, 20 lbs. give or take. They eat about the same amount of food...Thea is fine with that, and Mason always acts starving! He has, on occasion, over-eaten, and does not gain an ounce! He just has wicked fast metabolism. (Wish I did!) My vet and I have discussed it, done bloodwork, fecal exams, etc. and everything is normal...

Maybe it is a breed thing. Mason is a Rat Terrier, and is very busy and high energy. Because his fur is so short, I can actually see his ribs, if he is running or in motion. He is well muscled and very fit, he just has a tendency towards thin. I just figure in the long run, it is better for his health. Being the breed that your "starving dog" is, perhaps he has similar metabolism. Just an idea, obviously verify this with your vet, but maybe dogs are like people. I mean, we probably all know a person who can eat whatever they want and not gain an ounce...I just wish that person was me!laugh out loud

Mason got his forum motto from his love for food, because, for all practical purposes, he should weigh about 60 pounds!
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 2:27pm PST 
The "starving dog" thing is probably part of the breed wink My 19 huskies eat like they haven't seen food in weeks, even though they get multiple meals a day...

As for weight...you should be able to feel ribs and spine pretty easily through their fur. They should have a slight up-tuck in front of the rear legs that reaches to behind their ribs. You can see this of my dog Jack's pet page.

Good luck, and happy trails!
[notify]
♥- Smokey- ♥

I Want A Butt- Rub!

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 3:11pm PST 
Thanks for all your input it is greatly appreciated! I suppose it is possible I just think he is to skinny because I am used to overweight pups! BOL I guess I better wait to see what the vet says then go 5 rounds with my daughter! BOL Every morning at 5 AM he comes downstairs and starts clawing at my door demanding food. And every afternoon between 3 and 4 he starts barking and begging for food. She will not feed him before 5 PM (I suppose I should be glad or he would have me up earlier). He "inhales" his food in about 1 minute! I have honestly never seen a dog who acted like he was starving before. I must confess I occasionally feed him 1.5 cups in the morning and don't tell my daughter. Does anyone know off the top of their heads if TOTW is more or less caloric than Canidae. He seems more starved the last 3 months since we switched to TOTW. Again thanks.
[notify]
♥- Smokey- ♥

I Want A Butt- Rub!

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 3:17pm PST 
I just looked at dogfood analysis.com and TOTW is way less caloric ... about 100 calories less per cup so he is in essence getting 200 less calories a day from 3 months ago! How do you coonvince a 15 year old he needs more food or is that where I need to just be Mom and demand it or should I still wait and see what the vet says?
[notify]
Mason

The skinny fat- dog!

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 4:14pm PST 
Smokey! That sounds exactly like what Mason does! At about 4;30, he starts barking like a lunatic...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3