GO!

What to feed a nursing dog?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dalila LeAnn- Seybert

Queen of Michief

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 7:18pm PST 
The puppies were born on Sept. 7, 2008 and now she is really skinny. We made sure we put her on a special diet when she was pregnant and the pregnacy went well and all pups survived. I know she still needs a special diet but I can't find one that suits a nursing dog. Does anyone know any good sites that describes what kind of diet a nursing dog needs to be on?
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 7:44pm PST 
Put her on a quality puppy food & give her all she wants...She really needs all the nutrition she can get right now for her own health.
If you don't keep all of the pups please home them with a spay & neuter contract.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 8:34pm PST 
Second the puppy food. Lots of good ones are available. The Premium Edge online vet recommended puppy food for Lily when she was so scrawny. She was 2 1/2, so not a puppy.
[notify]

Dalila LeAnn- Seybert

Queen of Michief

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 3:43am PST 
these puppies are guaranteed not to end up in shelters, of course I'll take the back if there was a problem with a pup or if the owner just couldn't handle it. Most of my puppies are going to family or family friends who I will be able to contact if I ever needed to. I won't make a spay/neuter contract because I just don't trust the vets around here, the last time I got my pet neutered I almost lost him and I just bought him from a shelter and I don't want that to happen to my little loved ones. But if I can come up with some extra money I might go to the pet store and buy each female a washable diaper to give to their new owners so they won't have to worry about them getting tied. way to go I have been feeding her puppy food, but she still hasn't gained any weight, anything else that might help?
[notify]
Firefly

Lighting up my- mom's heart....

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 3:59am PST 
Premium Edge Puppy food is pawesome, also look into Orijen Puppy, it is grain-free.

I know you have her on a puppy food, but what kind? Purina, Science Diet, Iams, etc?

Those are low-quality foods and I would look into CLICKIE! Here.

A premium quality puppy food would make a WORLD of difference.

Also, if she is still nursing, she is going to be skinny until they are weaned, all of her nutrients, proteins, etc. are going into the puppies, not her own body.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 4:38am PST 
I'd feed at least one meal of wet down dry food and keep a bowl of dry available at all times. I've had females (@40#) eat up to 10 cups of food a day while nursing.

I'd start offering the pups mushed up (wet down) dry food starting at @3 weeks. They may not take much at first, but it will get them a taste and the female can eat what they don't.

And for the record, a doggy diaper is NOT going to prevent a tie.
[notify]
Dalila LeAnn- Seybert

Queen of Michief

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 7:49am PST 
well, it could help ... but I just don't trust vets here. I did not stay up for days to take care of the puppies just for the vets to kill them. I don't think so.
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 7:57am PST 
All the vets around there are incompetent?...That is amazing for such a simple procedure.
So, you are sure YOUR pups won't end up in shelters or be mistreated...But what about your pups pups someday?...The responsibility is with you as you bred the litter.
[notify]
Max

I'm a lap dog,- seriously I am,- really.

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 8:00am PST 
Free feed a high quality puppy food. Basically what everyone else said.

As for the rest silenced
[notify]
Reesy

Fall-OH-Me

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 8:43am PST 
I saw you were feeding her Cesar, so when you ask for a better food are you aware of the cost of feeding a quality food verses the junk food you have been feeding. You mention a lot about not having some money so what is your budget? What do you plan on feeding the puppies?

About the spay/neuter, I have taken in over 80 dogs, most that were not fixed when coming to me. All have survived and handle it very well. I think you should find another vet if yours is not qualified, but breeding a dog that has no show qualities and no show puppies and not having them fixed before given them away is just plain irresponsible. It is unfortunate that there are such irresponsible breeders out there or you would have found yourself with a contract on your dog and this family breeding of yours would not have happened.

Edited by author Wed Sep 10, '08 8:43am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2