GO!

dog food, is corn really that bad?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Carson

Shy guy.

Barked: Fri Sep 5, '08 6:57pm PST 
Is corn really that bad for dogs. The first dog I had lived for 17 & 1/2 years on commercial food. I didn't even know about all the specialty foods. Our first vet told us that as long as the chow we chose was nutritionally complete, it didn't matter. My mom got Canidae after the tainted dog food last year, now she reads about problems with the Canidae.
thinking
[notify]
Abby NPC ~- CGC, TDI

Ban Breed- Specific- Legislation

Barked: Fri Sep 5, '08 7:08pm PST 
Corn is nothing but a filler and has no nutritional value.
That being said...when we first got Abby we started her on ProPlan (we had no idea at that time what the scoop on dog food was) Anyways, during her obedience class our instrutor was very curious what we were feeding because she was REALLY bouncing off the walls! When she found out that we were feeding ProPlan she told us to get her off of it ASAP and to get her on a food with no ground yellow corn. It seems that if your dog has an intolerance/allergy to corn it can be like puppy speed to them! She calmed down a great deal once we switched her to a better food with no corn!
[notify]
Sophie

Its Sophie's- world, we just- live in it

Barked: Fri Sep 5, '08 7:15pm PST 
It depends on the dog...in my opinion. It is a common allergy with some dogs like bulldogs and pugs. Our 13 1/2 year old schnauzer who we lost in May, could have eaten just about any dry dog food (and did eat some not so great ones before I learned about the better foods that were out there)and her coat and skin were always beautiful, she never had allergies. Our pug's ears get gooey and yeasty smelling (sorry for the description) and our bully' s feet get red, she gets itchy all over and her folds become red. We just switched to a new food because of the Canidae change not going well with our bully.
Sophie is now on TOTW Pacific
and the pug is on EVO reduced fat because she gets fluffy very easily.
If they had not changed the fomula, we would have stayed with Canidae because Sophie really did well with the old formula. That is hard for me to write because of the way the company has treated me over the past week.
[notify]

Carson

Shy guy.

Barked: Fri Sep 5, '08 7:16pm PST 
Thanks for the input.
[notify]
Cooper

Lovin every- minute of it

Barked: Fri Sep 5, '08 9:07pm PST 
Foods that have low quality ingredients like corn can cause allergies, diabetes, bloat, overweight, oily skin, excessive and or runny stool and a myriad of other problems. Most of these brands are owned by companies like Del Monte, Proctor and Gamble, Mars and Nestle. Do you really believe that a company like Proctor and Gamble who makes beauty products, household cleaning supplies, baby items, prescription drugs and many others is the best suited company to make quality products for dogs? 50% of Mars is pet food, 45% is unhealthy snacks like candy bars.

Current pet food regulations allow manufacturers to use ingredients that you would never knowingly give to your pet. In fact, you may be shocked to learn what some brands of pet food really contain. For example: the use of by-products (feet, bones and intestines, etc.), the 5 Ds, (dead, dying, diseased, decayed, drugged), chemical preservatives (BHA and BHT) and grains that are often difficult to digest (corn, wheat, gluten and soy), which are often used as a protein source instead of meat.

These last grains are what cause most pets to have allergies. Corn based allergens fed into your pet that you did not know about.
I was shocked and disgusted when I first learned about how most all commercially processed dog foods are made and their ingredients. I became an educated consumer wanting the best for my dogs.

That is why I will never feed any brand name dog food from Pedigree, Purina, Eukanuba, Iams, Ol'Roy, Beneful, Diamond, Nutro, Science Diet, etc. ever again.

They are made with dangerous ingredients and deadly additives that are literally bringing our dogs to an early and painful death.
[notify]
Baxter

Leaving a wake- of smiles

Barked: Sat Sep 6, '08 5:38am PST 
Everyone here will tell you that vets get very little nutritional training at vet school.

To add to that, I have a friend who went to vet school who said the classes on nutrition were taught by reps from the low-grade food companies. Of course they aren't going to speak badly about their own products!
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat Sep 6, '08 6:05am PST 
The new Canidae formula is still a good formula, but it's different, so dogs who did well on the old formula might have problems with something in the new formula. I had to switch Addy, but the company made similar changes in their cat food, and my cats are loving it and doing very well.

Corn is the hardest grain to digest, even for humans. And for dogs, as a previous poster said, it's filler, without nutritional value. With corn in the food, you need to feed more to get the same caloric value for your dog.
[notify]
Chim Chim

I luff to luff.

Barked: Sat Sep 6, '08 6:07am PST 
Corn is a horrid allergen!

Not only does it have no nutritional value...be expected to see lots of itchy paws and red eyes at some point.

Chim was miserable on it, poor guy. Spend the extra couple bucks and get a better food.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Sep 6, '08 6:47am PST 
*I*, Sassy the dog liked Science Diet. The corn made the food taste sweet and I got fat eating it. My huMom thought I pooped at least twice as much and my poop smelled like corn so she didn't think I was getting much out of the food.
[notify]
Bailey

Proudly- defending the- homefront

Barked: Sat Sep 6, '08 8:18am PST 
The way I think of it... We're omnivores. We can't digest corn kernels well. So how would a carnivore like a dog be able to digest it??
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2