GO!

How long ago did Canidae change formula?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sancho

Ultimate- protector

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 6:11pm PST 
I was wondering how long ago did Canidae change it's dog & cat formula? My wifes cats one night went to eat after she opened a new bag & NOT one of her 5 cats ate the Felidae! All sniffed & walked away. We found out the next day the formula was changed. And my dog, he still eats up his Canidae BUT, for the last month or so has had alot of itching & licking, & his ears are red inside & I hear that can be due to being allergic to his food. Anyone know how long ago they switched? I am about to switch to TOTW. Thanks.
[notify]
Rusty - 1994-2008

Forever In- Mommy's Heart

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 6:36pm PST 
Sancho, I'm not sure, but I think it's been a while. Rusty ate Canidae and he developed severe diarrhea back in April/May. I'm not sure if the formula changed prior to his diarrhea, but I stopped giving it to him at that time. I've read that may dogs got sick with the new formula.

Good luck with your new food.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 6:39pm PST 
I think the new formulas have been out around 2 months now. Stores use up their old stock before the new stuff so sometimes it takes a few weeks before the old runs out and the new gets on the shelf. That's probably what happened.

Yep, your dog could be allergic to something in the new formula. Good luck on the switch.
[notify]

Molly

I love to play,- I'm a cockapoo!

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 7:52pm PST 
Oh no, we have had a puppy for 8 weeks and she had diarhea for most of it. After several trips to the vet and dogster we switched to this brand. She has been great for little over a week, which is the longest since we got her. I was sad to read this and hope we got some of new formula since she is doing well.

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if it is the new formula? Is there something on the bag?

Thanks for any help
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 8:50pm PST 
Check the ingredients listed on the bag. Does it match the ingredients listed here?

http://www.canidae.com/
[notify]
Sophie

Its Sophie's- world, we just- live in it

Barked: Sun Aug 31, '08 8:42am PST 
The bag we bought about 3 weeks ago was the new formula. Sophie did not finish her food, her feet were red and itchy, she was itchy all over, lots of gas, waking in the night, loose stools. Canidae told me that I was pretty much the only one having issues.
This past Tuesday, I switched to Taste of the Wild. She sleeps through the night, skin looks better, hardly any gas (she is a bully afterall), finishes her food, has more energy and her bowels are back to normal.snoopy
[notify]
Sancho

Ultimate- protector

Barked: Sun Aug 31, '08 8:57am PST 
Sophie, Sancho started licking alot on his paws & where his front legs meet his body & is doing it ALOT! He never used to do that before. His ears are extremely red as well, shakes his head alot. I went and got some TOTW at a feed store down the street from my house & all they had were small bags.

Their shipment comes in on Thursdays so I will pick up a large bag then. I gave them a hand full & they loved it. Then mixed in a bit with their dinner & all gone. They said they run out pretty quickly of this food as it is getting very popular. I'll keep it posted here on the results.
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Sun Aug 31, '08 11:28am PST 
I am reading a LOT of bad reports about dog's reactions to the ingredients change...A lot of complaints about loose stools, weight loss, red & itchy paws
This was NOT a good change!!!frown
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Sun Aug 31, '08 12:50pm PST 
I don't think it was a good change either. I just wonder how many of these dogs who've been getting sick have eaten Canidae for most of their life with little to no variety. How many of the dogs were transitioned to the new formula? As we know, GI upset can be caused by those things.

Edited by author Sun Aug 31, '08 12:51pm PST

[notify]
Tucker

Barked: Sun Aug 31, '08 1:24pm PST 
I had heard from my distributor 3 months ago that the formula had changed, but I did get the new formula until a month ago. ALl 4 of my boy are having minor issues, they are scratching more and the old guy (7yr) is having GAS!!! P U. But because it gets expensive to feed 4 adult rottweilers TOTW or Orijen or even Evo, I'm still researching an alternative food. Someone told me about StrongPoint, and that it is the old Canidae formula, and it's less expensive. So I'm off to research that food and get a couple of sample bags.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3