GO!

More Disturbing Canidae News?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Doozer

Little dude with- a 'tude

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 5:44pm PST 
So I went to a new holistc pet store last night in my area for the first time to get my pups some Honest Kitchen. While I was there, I remembered that I needed to also get a bag of Canidae Platinum. The guy who owns the store tells me that these are the last bags of Canidae they will be carrying. He then tells me that he was notified that Canidae is going to start having their food produced in Diamond's facility??? He doesn't trust Diamond Foods (neither do I) and won't carry Canidae anymorebecause he feels the quality will go down and because they were involved in the recall, he feels the foods being made on the same machines won't be safe. He said it's because they need to increase production because they are going into the "big box" stores like Petco, etc.

Can anyone else confirm or deny this is true??? I was disapointed about the food change in the lamb and rice forumula (even tho I don't feed it) because it seemed like they are about to go downhill but this takes the cake if it's true.
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 5:55pm PST 
I know I've heard from others that Canidae will be sold at Petco, which is worrying in itself because of that issue just this week. Being sold at such a huge store is going to increase demand, which could cause a need for a new producer and possibly hurt quality. I don't like the way Canidae is moving, if this is all true. shrug
[notify]
Daisy

throw the- ball!!!!- PLEASE!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 5:56pm PST 
Did we see something about Canidae being sold in petco/smart? Wellness is starting to be sold there. But it does seem like there has been an increase in demand regardless for canidae as they seemed to have some past problems with quality control etc, probably in the bustle to produce more. The increased production is probably also the reason for the ingredient change, as the price of rice is $$.

Being made at Diamond, eh, I wouldnt be too bothered, I mean, some other diamond foods dont contain the recalled item/ingredient, and alot of dogsters, myself included feed them. Diamond makes alot of foods.

And besides that, MANY companies use each others plants and factories to make their dry kibble or canned foods...I think if we looked into it we would be surprised where things are made, and in what factories. So, eh, not too worried. Im more bothered by the ingredient change
[notify]

Belle

Short legs, long- body, huge- heart.

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 7:29pm PST 
Somewhere on the interwebs is a list that shows which companies produce which foods. I can't find the URL for the life of me, but if someone else is willing to post it that would be swell.

Honestly, I feed a food made by Diamond (TOTW) and have not had any problems with it. For years and years my parents fed Kirkland Signature dog food which is also made by Diamond and had not one single issue.
[notify]
Penelope

I am the REAL- head of the- household

Barked: Sun Jun 22, '08 8:05pm PST 
I did see that PetCo was carrying Wellness just this week. I really hope they don't have issues, we just started using their food. I second that about the URL, please do post it if you have it.
[notify]
Mandy and - Casey

2PUPPIES 2x the- work 4x the fun

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 3:13am PST 
I am in Canada so no Petco here but to me that is a good sign that better foods will be sold in Bigger stores. Besides when production goes up then doesn't costs sometimes go down sorta like bulk.
It might be a way to keep prices lower.
There is a big grain shortage everywhere and some companies will need to adjust or increase price right. Here the price of bread had almost doubled then you add in gas prices it is probably cheaper to make at a few different factories around that use gas to get it all over the place.

Lets see where it goes before jumping to quick
Personally for us Canidea never worked Mandy pooped huge piles on it so I figures for here to much was wasted
[notify]
Crickett

Being a Princess- is hard work!!

Barked: Mon Jun 23, '08 6:30am PST 
I have a question for those who might know? How if one plant makes so many different kibbles, how do they keep other ingredients from contaminating each other? Do they clean each machine in between each batch of different food? I was curious about this because if they don't wouldn't the residue from the previous kibble be left to mix with the one that is going through the machine now, mixing ingredients? I know that Solid Gold is made at Diamond and has had problems with foreign kibbles in their bags. I quit buying JAWB because of this. I had so many foreign kibbles, I wasn't sure what I was feeding. Just a thought and was really curious about this. Who makes Innova? This is what we are currently feeding.
[notify]