GO!

is asparagus safe for dogs?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Daisy

throw the- ball!!!!- PLEASE!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 3:30pm PST 
anyone know? Im trying to find more raw things that I have on hand like apples to give as low fat treats....the kids are hungry on the diet, and I want to give them something that isnt fattening...I have some asparagus for dinner.....maybe they can have some!
[notify]
Riley Star CGC

I'm A Little- Thief

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 3:51pm PST 
If you can get them to eat it ... it's fine.

Riley will eat almost any veggie if its got butter on it. But asparagas he spits out every time.
[notify]
Will- (Wilhelm)

Notorious D O G

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 3:54pm PST 
As fas as I know yes. In fact my guys love it. I always have them at my elbows waiting for the tough end. they think their a great chew!
[notify]

Daisy

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 4:01pm PST 
thanks guys! yep they love them, so good (whew) cause I gave some earlier....lol....THANKS!!!
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 4:36pm PST 
I had never heard it was bad, but my co-worker was told by her online chihuahua group that it was dangerous for chis. The only thing I can think of is that it's diuretic properties might make it more dangerous for such small animals?

As with everything, I wouldn't feed LOTS of it all the time -- everything in moderation -- and if your dogs show signs of it not "agreeing" with them I'd stop.
[notify]
Daisy

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '08 5:19pm PST 
hmm anyone know more about that? Our foster is a Chi....albeit a bigger chi, but still.

I looked online, but all I can find is about Asparagus Fern (the house plant) not the food. hmmm...anyone know?

Thanks guys!
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Mar 19, '08 11:57am PST 
I've never heard of any issues with it, but then again I don't have Chis...although Pooch *could* be part Chi for all I know and he's never had a problem with asparagus. Ginger just loves it, and whenever I cut the ends off she always wants the end of the raw asparagus!
[notify]
Luc

I love food...I- really LOVE food

Barked: Fri Mar 21, '08 4:56am PST 
Our Newfpack eats asparagus whenever our pawrents have it for dinner (not often, maybe twice a month). We CANNOT stand raw asparagus - none of us! We back away when mom holds it up to our nose and it looks as though mom is fending us off with an asparagus sword. But, we all LOVE it cooked. We do LOVE raw brocolli though...yum!

Edited by author Fri Mar 21, '08 4:58am PST

[notify]