GO!

Anal gland issues...doc says more fiber but.....

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Coco

Mommy's adorable- shadow

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 10:09pm PST 
Hi all!
Well, we get our anal glands expressed occasionally bc we are little and they seem to get smelly and need some help! However, they just got them expressed a few weeks ago, and Coco (even just a week or so afterwards) already had the strong smell going on again! The doc said we could increase the fiber in our diet so we added some super high fiber food (crude fiber max 12%) and mixed into our beneful (we didnt know it was junk! and we are getting better food now) but that hasnt helped--it made no change and Coco keeps smelling up the room with her less than yummy anal glands!

Is there some food or raw food or supplement that can help the glands? Or help them express better themselves? Coco HATES having it expressed, and well, if she keeps going this way we will have to move into the vets office......
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 10:17pm PST 
Any foods that are high in fiber will help express the glands when your dog defecates.

You could try adding a spoonful of 100% pure pumpkin to their food. Remember to get 100% pure pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie mix! Hope this helps.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 10:19pm PST 
How long has it been since you've been on the latest food? While it shouldn't take too long, results won't happen overnight, either. You might just have to give it a bit.

What's your new food choice? Have your poops improved? Are they smaller and more compact?
[notify]

Coco

Mommy's adorable- shadow

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 10:36pm PST 
Well,since the gland expression (we used to just be on beneful) we added the Purina fit and trim (with the 12%max crude fiber) and it has been a few weeks since then, (it was in the beginning of Jan or so). So it has been at least 3 weeks with the high fiber, and the smell did kinda go away for a few days recently, but its back today for sure!

The past week or so, we have been mixing in Wellness Core adult, which they arent fond of, and dont eat well, but still eat some of the other two junk brands (we are changing over slowly). Then we just started adding Orijen Adult and they love that, so that will probably be their new food and we will mix that with the old junk to ween them onto the new food and forget the Wellness Core they dont seem to like. The Orijen is also smaller kibble, so it is easier for Coco's little mouth.

But I would think 3 weeks would be enough to see a permanent result--and while the Purina fit and trim did help a little, it is junk and --HERES THE BIG PROBLEM!!! if they go to Orijen only, then they wont have the super high fiber content again (from the junk stuff) and we are back to smelly! maybe I should keep mixing Orijen and the high fiber junk forever?

Can I add the people fiber stuff? We use that Fibersure and Benefiber powder in our people food to help lower cholesterol, is that safe for the dogs? I could put it in their water.....

Otherwise it will be pumkin every day??? Is that ok too?

Sigh, are we hopelessly smelly??? It makes mommy gag and Im her lap baby! And I dont mean a little smelly..I mean full out, WOW smelly! Help!
[notify]
Twiggy,- 8/3/93 - 1/15/10

I am the- Princess

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 6:45am PST 
Coco - my vet recommends that I add metamucil to Twiggy's food - she's 3lbs, and 14 years old, so she can't eat dry anymore. She also has kidney problems, and was on a renal diet. When I started feeding my other two the Wellness food, Twiggy would eat their food (without the food war we have gone through for the last five years for the renal food). Wellness says on their website that you will notice reduced stool because they are absorbing more of the nutrients. However, Twiggy is having the best stool she has ever had, without straining. I'm feeding mine the canned food for now because the Wellness dry is so hard for them to chew. When Wellness comes out with their small bites for small dogs, I hope to switch the other two back to dry.
[notify]
Brody

"I'm a Lover"

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '08 9:24am PST 
Canned pumpkin, human fiber supplements, apples, peanut butter, and carrots are all high fiber and can be safely added to your pet's diet.
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '08 9:33am PST 
I love carrots, does it matter if they are raw or cooked ? I like both, when mum cooks mince for me I always get carrots!!
The Quigsterdog
[notify]
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '08 9:49am PST 
Just another idea:

Storm had chronic anal gland problems (which is odd for a 50 lb. dog) until I started figuring out his food allergies. When he ate rice, we were in the vet's office 1-2 times each month to get them expressed; when we stopped rice he had normal, healthy glands. My vet did not mention allergies when we went in for gland expression, but was open-minded and offered to help with the search for food once I had some proof that Storm' s diet was the culprit.

I don't know whether you've noticed any other signs of allergies over there, but I did want to give you an example of glands that would not be helped by additional supplements.
[notify]
Gil's Geneva- 8/04 - 10/08

Pet me! Pet me!- Pet me!

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '08 10:11am PST 
I add approx 2 tablespoons of pumpkin to every meal. (I feed 2x day) Geneva has colitis & needs a high fiber diet.

In the past I had a lab/boxer mix that I had to keep on the pumpkin to firm up her poo so that her anal glands would express. She was on it for years with no issues.

Pumpkin is naturally sweet & most dogs will happily eat it. It may even help them to eat food they aren't real fond of. I add my pumpkin & then enough water to mix it in so that it kind of disolves. If I don't mix it down it makes the food stick together & Geneva trys to swallow her entire bowl at once. (That's a whole other issue I deal with! Silly girl! laugh out loud)
[notify]
Daisy

throw the- ball!!!!- PLEASE!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '08 10:44am PST 
How long does pumpkin take to work? When should I see some results--just so I can judge if it is helping.

Also if i feed high protein like Wellness Core or Orijen, would the pumpkin be good as the extra moisture?

thanks everyone for helping my sis be less smelly! (she had pumpkin yesterday but she is smelly again today....I hope it kicks in soon!)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2