GO!

Natural almond butter okay?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '08 7:01am PST 
Is natural almond butter (100% almonds, the only ingredient) okay for dogs? I'd like to use some in their Kongs, as Jagger is not a huge fan of peanut butter. What do you think? thinking
[notify]
Stevie

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '08 7:57am PST 
If you did a web search for "almonds+dogs" you would find this:
http://www.yummyfordogs.org/cookbook/desserts/almond_carrot_g ingerbread
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/peter-pan-peanut-bu tter-recall.html

Sunflower (Sunbutter) is better than peanut butter and I only use ORGANIC of any of these products. Honey is also good but use only raw organic.
[notify]
Mister- Jagger

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '08 11:19am PST 
Thanks Stevie. Yeah, I should have put Organic, not "natural"... must have had a brain fart! red face
[notify]

Quinn

Walk, sniff,- pee, repeat...

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '08 9:01am PST 
Didn't someone post one time about how you caouldn't give dogs sugar cookies becaus eof the almond extract?? Maybe just the extract is bad because its concentrated??
[notify]
A.M.

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '08 9:04am PST 
Almond extract is NOT the same thing as almond butter. Most of those extracts contain alcohol which is the reason they are not advise.
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '08 9:56am PST 
It was me about the almond extract in sugar cookies. If your breed is sensitive to nuts, don't chance it. Boxers are very prone to react to weird things (thankfully we haven't had the problem, but several in our breed club have)

Many treats contain almonds. But then, many contain onions and raisins too. thinking
[notify]
Mister- Jagger

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '08 11:23am PST 
Do those breeds also react badly to peanuts? shock
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '08 3:04pm PST 
I am not sure how Chi's or Pom's either one react to things. I would go onto the forums for your breeds and ask around to see.
[notify]
Quinn

Walk, sniff,- pee, repeat...

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 10:46am PST 
Peanuts aren't nuts, they're legumes. If you put almond extract in treats that are baked then there wouldn't be any alcohol left in them due to cooking. Here's what the ASPCA poison control center says aboutalmonds
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 4:17pm PST 
Didnt even notice you said Peanuts. BOL. Uh, we eat lots of peanut butter! The true nuts I avoid, but peanuts we eat
[notify]