GO!

Can a dog get sick from eating a stick of butter?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Einstein

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 8:16am PST 
Einstein's sister Bella the pug ate an entire stick of butter today. Can this make her sick?? I'm sure she'll have diahrea......
[notify]
Quinn

Walk, sniff,- pee, repeat...

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 8:23am PST 
Yeah, I would imagine that's just going to cause some pretty disgusting diarrhea. Poor Bella, and poor Bella's family too!! Hope you're feeling better soon.
[notify]
Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 9:05am PST 
I ate a whole stick of butter once and I threw up -- right in the middle of the kitchen during Mom's dinner party. big laugh Mom hadn't realized that the butter was gone yet, so she was wondering why it was creamy yellow and foamy! thinking

Anyway, it might upset your tummy, but it's not going to make you sick like going to the dogtor sick. And I still like to steal butter when I can (Mom likes to leave out butter and cheese to serve at room temp, so I get lots of opportunities!).
[notify]

Gabe the Dog

It's Gabe. Gabe- the Dog

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 11:43am PST 
I'd be worried about that much fat for a little dog! Watch her closely, anything more than diarrhea (vomiting, tender abdomen) warrants a call to a vet-hope you are feeling better soon!
[notify]
Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 12:13pm PST 
My childhood cat ate 1/2 a stick of butter one day. She licked the middle portion right out so there were two nubs left on each end of the butter dish. big laugh She was fine and I don't remember too many digestive issues. I sure hope Bella's tummy doesn't revolt too much! Good luck!
[notify]
Bernadette- 02/05/04 - 09/25/08

Ripped out of my- family\'s arms- too soon

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 1:35pm PST 
I believe it could cause pancreatitis, due to the fats the pancreas isn't used to digesting.

thinking
cANaDiAn- bOYs RIP- Boys

Canadian EH!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 1:48pm PST 
When we were 1 years old between the 2 of us we ate a whole pound of butter! It was YUMMY but our bottom end didnt like it.....silenced
[notify]
Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 3:06pm PST 
It could cause some serious problems. One of the things I remember reading about the howl-idays and all that rich people food was about pancreatitis. What we saw said that too much turkey and stuff like that has too much fat fur us to process. Butter is solid fat.

Pawlease bee careful and keep a close eye out. If you do just get the D, bee sure to get plenty of water and stay hydrated.

Smoke, crossing paws
[notify]
Brando

Save the- Stuffies!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 10:56pm PST 
Einstein, I imagine Bella's tummy is probably gurgly, maybe a little gassy, but a stick of butter doesn't warrant a visit to the vet. It's not like it's toxic, and 1 stick of butter is not going to cause pancreatitis. In fact, some dog experts occasionally recommend boiled rice w/ some butter for dogs who lose their appetites due to sickness. My mom says not to lose sleep over it (and she's a worrier-mom!)
[notify]
Berry Bubba- Gump

Last ofthe- famous- international- playboys

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 11:38pm PST 
Our brother in-law's dog ate a tub of margarine, it didn't cause any lasting effects, but had diareah and he pooped on the table, not sure why, or how since he was a really big dalmation.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2