GO!

What to feed to fatten a dog up

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Daisy Dawg,- NPC

Doodle.. it's an- attitude thang!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 5:18pm PST 
Hey gang, I just brought in a stray shepherd mix from outside. He is very skinny and you can see his ribs and hip bones. I fed him some regular dog food (Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potatoe) but I need some Ideas on what to feed him to put some meat back on his bones. Any ideas on some things to feed him to get him back to a healthy weight?
[notify]
Chompers, PhD

Where the- rabbits?!?

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 5:23pm PST 
A good puppy food! Or, if you feed raw like we do, offer a lot of meaty foods with ample fat. way to go You may want to have the dog checked for internal parasites to make sure that's not aiding in the skinniness.

Good luck!
[notify]
Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 5:40pm PST 
Wellness canned and dry food fattened me right up!! Super5 Chicken dry and Venison and Sweet Potato canned brought me from 38 lbs to 45 lbs. But, I really didn't nead to gain weight, so now the vet says I have to get back down to 38 lbs, so no more canned for me cry
[notify]

☞Queen- Jill,- Cowgirl!

Cowgirl- !

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '08 11:27pm PST 
Puppy food should be sorta fatty. I've never had to fatten a dog (except for Jilly, but she's naturally skinnylaugh out loud) so i'm not an expert
[notify]
Cash

"Pup" in black

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 12:49pm PST 
definitely a puppy canned food. I don't like to feed canned food as an ongoing diet, but it will help fatten you up pretty quick
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 1:10pm PST 
First, get a stool sample and take it to the vet for testing. get him medicine if needed, but afterwards you should start fattening him up. Puppy kibble and canned is a good idea. Any dog food high in fat will help. Also, Satin Balls are another great option. They worked wonders for Gunner, who is naturally too skinny for my liking.

Good luck! You're doing a great thing by taking care of this dog.
[notify]
Sierra

speckled dogs- are love

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 2:51pm PST 
I'll second the reccomendation for Satin Balls, they're not good as an "all the time" food, but for a dog that needs to put on some weight, they're great short term!
[notify]
Benito - ADOPTED!

Ready to take on- the world

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 2:53pm PST 
Definitely Satin Balls. They are the best. They helped me gain 11 pounds in 2 weeks. applause
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 3:08pm PST 
my only thing with those satin balls is that massive amount of carbs/filler...i have no doubt that they fatten up quick, but are they doing it right? hmmm...i'm not saying dont do it, just asking kinda
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 4:42pm PST 
Arko, I think if you feed a quality diet along with the Satin Balls, then yes, they are okay. Of course, they don't make up a nutritional diet, but for a dog that drastically needs to gain weight, they are about the best way. Take Gunner for example. He has trouble gaining weight in the summer, due to extra activity. We used Satin Balls to get the extra couple pounds on. Afterwards, we were able to maintain that weight, he just needed an extra push to get there. Think what you will, that's just my take.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2