GO!

Allergy to yeast, wheat, potato, beef, rabbit & rice

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Kuma

Desperately cute- & stinky!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 10:24pm PST 
My sister took her dog Leche for a blood test to find out about allergies because she has been chewing her paws and licking her anal glands for quite a long time. The test came back with a series of environmental allergens as well as dietary allergens.

She is very allergic to potato (score 3). She is allergic to wheat, yeast and beef (score 2). She has low allergy to rabbie & rice (score 1). The challenge so far is that most of the premium food use either rice or potato. So far, I have found Nature's Variety Instinct to be free of any of the allergens. Knowinbg my sister's lifestyle, raw and homecooked is out of question.

I have a few questions:
1. Is potato and sweet potato consider the same category? (If they are not the same, there might be more options, such as California Naturals)
2. Should rice & rabbit be avoided all together because she has been tested to have low allergies?
3. What other food suggestions are there for Leche?
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 8:05am PST 
I'll do some research for you.... I thought maybe Orijen, but they have potatoes in all their formulas. I'll look around a little bit and let you know if I find anytthing. Is price an issue?
[notify]
Kuma

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 8:15am PST 
Hi Buddy,
Thanks! I'm still looking, too. I feel so bad for Leche. I don't think that price is much of an issue as long as it's not too expensive.
[notify]

Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 8:25am PST 
Kuma, I thought of Nature's Logic, but it has brewer's yeast. I guessing that's the same thing as yeast, but I'm not sure. I'll keep looking around too. It's probably going to be tough to find a good food for her.
[notify]
Harley - RIP

Burger Queen

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 8:35am PST 
Hey Kuma, sorry to hear about your sister's pup. I know that potatoes and sweet potatoes are not considered in the same class. I know that potatoes are part of the nightshade variety, but I'm not sure where sweet potatoes fall. With allergies to potatoes and beef, it sounds like she might be stuck with Nature's Variety. You could look into the Canine Caviar Venison & Split Pea, though.
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 8:43am PST 
Ok.... in this situation it might be best to feed mostly a canned food diet if money will allow.... and if the dog allows it too. big grin Mostly because a lot of dry foods have either rice or potatoes. Wellness has a line of canned food that's 95% meat. The chicken formula ingredients are- Chicken, Water Sufficient for Processing, Natural Flavors, Cassia Gum, Carrageenan. There's also other meats available.

Evangers is also another good one, but only their wet food because the dry food has brown rice. They have a line of 100% meats and the ingredients for the chicken formula is- INGREDIENTS: WHOLE DRESSED CHICKEN, WATER SUFFICIENT FOR PROCESSING

I'm pretty sure Innova EVO canned food is free of all those ingredients also.

The only dry food I could find is Instinct by Nature's Variety who also has a raw line. So there wouldn't be much preparation.

I also found Natural Balance® Limited Ingredient Diets™ I couldn't find the ingredients on this one though.... but they name the main ingredients of Green Pea and Duck. I don't think any of those were on your allergy list.

Merrick canned food has sweet potatoes and I'm not sure if that would have the same effect or not.... but I would imagine it would.

There's also Spot's Stew by Halo: No Chemicals, artificial flavors, preservatives, by-products or fillers; just USDA-approved CHICKEN, CARROTS, ZUCCHINI, SQUASH, GREEN BEANS, CELERY, and all the other important nutrients guaranteed to keep your pets happy and in glorious good health....

So, there's options but I don't know what I would do because those foods are sooo expensive. I feed Canidae. Well, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'll keep looking for you. GOOD LUCK! Let me know what you end up going with!

way to go
[notify]
A.M.

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 9:08am PST 
You might consider Nature's Variety INSTINCT kibble or canned as they are GRAIN-FREE.
[notify]
Kuma

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 9:11am PST 
Buddy, Harley & Gunner,
Thanks for your input and effort. Sounds like so far, the options may be NV Instinct Chicken or Turkey/Duck, Canine Caviar Vennison & Split Pea (funny I was just looking at this brand the other day) and California Naturals Herring & Sweet Potatoes (if Leche can stand sweet potatoes). Another option may be giving her canned food diet or prepared raw or dehydrated raw (these options will require some more work on my end).

When my sister showed me the results of Leche's test, my thoughts were, "why potatoes, why, why?" shrug Being allergic to potatoes AND rice basically eliminates most of the kibble out there. Then, I went to Leche and gave her a big hug. She is definitely the princess of the family. Kuma is our teddy bear. Leche's sister, Rice, is our bully. laugh out loud
[notify]
Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 2:09pm PST 
Hi guyswave I know nothing about dog nutrition or about what ingredients translate to what, but would Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato work if she can have sweet potatoes? I don't know if some of the ingredients are hidden allergens, like if Barley is secretly some sort of rice or if Rye Flour secretly is yeast. shrug

Ingredients
Whitefish, Ground Barley (de-hulled), Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Ground Pearled Barley, Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Natural Fish Flavor, Flaxseed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride

Minerals
Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite.

Vitamins
Beta Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement], Choline Chloride, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative).
[notify]
~Bandit~

Raiding a trash- can near you

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 2:30pm PST 
The only kibble I know of that is potato and rice free is Nature's Variety Instinct.
It's a good food...my pups and cats do very well on it.

Here is a link to print a coupon to buy a bag of Instinct kibble and get one free.
www.naturesvariety.com/iloveit
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4