GO!

What to feed pregnant chihuahua

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Cillou

Yes the world- revolves around- me

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 9:01pm PST 
Yes so my Chihuahua Is preganant. I want to feed her a good homemade or some good dog food. Im only 14 and my parents think dog food is dog food. we Have gotten In big arguements about this subject. Well I have 5k Saved up for a c-section In case she needs it. I could take some of that money and put it towards her diet.

What should I be Feeding her? I have her on a Calcium (sp) supplement.

She is now eating raw. We own our own lambs and chickens and cows so when they come back from the butcher I get the left overs 9 some leg meat, Insides.chicken feet and heart) and I feed it to my babies.

Any help would be loved.
[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 9:14pm PST 
to start, why is your dog pregnant?? she should be spayed as soon as possible after her pregnancy, there are WAY too many pets in shelters to have any more puppys born irresponsibly...

for food, if she is on a prey model raw diet, she should be fine, if you are just giving raw meat without any organs or edible bones, it is not a complete diet.... im sure others will kow alot better, i have never taken care of a pregnant dog before, but i have read that raw is great for pregnant and lactating dogs.

good luck with the pregnancy and plesae get her spayed after this, and any male dogs neutered smile
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 9:22pm PST 
Please discuss this with your vet. Sometimes having them on a calcium supplement while they are pregnant can actually lead to them needing more calcium while they're nursing and put them more at risk for eclampsia.
[notify]

Cillou

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 9:23pm PST 
She is a show dog. She has got her champion. his breeding was very planned. She has all her tests and such..
The calcium Im giving her was prescribed by my vets

I would NEVER breed her Irresponsible. I volunteer at a shelter and see how many dogs are put down. I would never do that to my baby

Edited by author Sun Dec 9, '07 9:29pm PST

[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 9:33pm PST 
Can I ask what their reasoning was for it? My vet recommends against it, as long as they're on a properly balanced diet.

Here is some information on that subject.

"Calcium supplementation may be tempting but is not a good idea. As long as the expectant mother is on a quality diet, supplementation is unnecessary. Further, supplementation can suppress her natural calcium releasing hormones so that when she really needs extra calcium during nursing, she will not have the proper hormone balance to get it. This can create a very dangerous situation which could easily be avoided by avoiding supplementation of calcium."

I guess before changing her diet to something different, I would ask the vet for number one, the reasoning behind the prenatal calcium, two if a raw diet/homemade diet/or kibble would be best for her and three if you switch her food, how to do that safely with keeping her prenatal needs in mind.
[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 9:36pm PST 
if she is a show dog, why dont your parent care to put her on a better food?? is she eating just raw now or kibble and raw?? and if kibble, what kind??
[notify]
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 9:51pm PST 
Raw is great to feed during pregnancy. I don't know how it should be adjusted for pregnant dogs (and I'm not sure there's anyone here who's knowledgeable about feeding raw to pregnant dogs), so you may want to check out the Yahoo! Group rawbreeder. There's a lot of very experienced good breeders there who feed their dogs raw (and raise their puppies on raw too!).
[notify]
Cillou

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 9:59pm PST 
Her calcium levles are low. So he has put her on a very small amount of it.

And yes you would think that but I take care of her she is MY baby. I show her. So my parents think I should beable to buy her food.

They dont know anything about dogs.

Thanks for the info

Edited by author Sun Dec 9, '07 10:22pm PST

[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 10:05pm PST 
well that is very responsible of you , sorry for jumping to conclusins, will you be paying from the care of the puppys too???

what kind of food is she eating now??
[notify]
Cillou

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 10:13pm PST 
Thank you so much! Naw, Its fine I would be the same way. I cant stand BYBs and Other people like that.

I switched her from science diet -blah- to raw. She is adjusting pretty well.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3