GO!

Help! Probiotic Acidophilus dosage for small dog

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel Maddy

Forever Loved.- 12/20/00-02/05/1- 2

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 5:24pm PST 
I purchased a probioic from the health food store, but can't find a safe dosage chart anywhere. It was the smallest human dosage I could find of Lactobacillus Acidophilus - 100 million active in a 10 mg capsule.

Any guess on a proper dosage for a 9 pound dog?
[notify]
Desiree

It's all about- ME.

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 8:09pm PST 
I'm on probiotics. It's called FortiFlora. I weigh 17 lbs and my vet said I can safely take a whole sachet every day. each sachet is 1 gram. 1000mg = 1 gram.
[notify]
Moxie

Vertically- challenged hound- dog

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 8:13pm PST 
We take them as well, but we've always bought the doggie kind that has dosing on the side, but there is nothing wrong with human kind! What is the human dosage? Are they the capsules or the powder? Let us know, we'll figure this out!
[notify]

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 11:01pm PST 
Generally dosages for this stuff is by weight, but there will be a reasonable small-end dose, you can't just keep cutting the smallest recommended dose for humans 'till you reach the "right" fraction for a small dog's weight. Does it say how many microorganisms are in each dose of X amount? Some are more potent than others. For most powdered probiotic supplements I've seen a reasonable starting dose would be about 1/4 teaspoon for a 10 pound-ish dog.

What supplement did you get? Maybe they have a website that would help us help you figure out a good dosage.
[notify]
Angel Maddy

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 4:57am PST 
Thanks pups! Here's the company and bottle info:

Good 'n Natural Manufacturing Corp. (Holbrook, NY)
Probiotic Acidophilus, 100 capsule bottle
10mg capsule includes 100 million active Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Adult dosage is one capsule of powder

Looks like they don't have a consumer website yet, just a retailer one.
http://www.goodnnatural.com/

I don't know, if you go by the active numbers, the dosage seems comparable (actually less) than the dog dosages, but that can't be right can it? Maybe dogs usually need more? shrug
[notify]
Angel Maddy

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 5:00am PST 
Nice blurb about the company in general:
http://www.nutritiondome.com/good--n-natural.html

Pic of bottle, but no information:
http://www.mygatewaytohealth.com/catalog_details.php?I D=289

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '07 5:02am PST

[notify]
Izzie

Corgiosaurus

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 10:59am PST 
I'd sprinkle half a capsule or so and see if it helps... I would imagine it would take a severe overdose of that stuff to cause any adverse effect, although I don't know that for a fact.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 11:50am PST 
"Overdosing" with probiotics is pretty much just going to give a dog (or person) the runs! When you're using probiotics to prevent or remedy an internal situation that would also cause soft stools I guess it's not easy to tell if you've overdone it!

OK -- now I'm at work and have this stuff in front of me, whereas I was at home for my last post. The recommended dose for 25 lbs and under for a powdered supplement that touts 10 billion organisms per gram is 1/8 tsp once or twice a day. Another supplement that includes 200 million CFUs (colony forming units) per gram, and recommends two cc's (two grams) of the thick liquid it comes in for an adult dog of any size, up to 4 times daily for dogs on antibiotics.

I'd probably try part of a capsule to a whole capsule (it's those gel-caps that can be opened, right?) per dose and give it 2 hours after your antibiotics, how ever often that is.

Wow. Confusing. Did that help at all? It's not really an exact science, you're pretty much just trying to put some "good bacteria" into the gut to help with digestion and the control of the environment of the GI tract until the meds are done with and the natural gut flora can get back in balance.
[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 1:36pm PST 
Mom just bought probiotics for us at the health food store by us and was told you can't overdose on them. Anyone know for sure if you can?
[notify]
Angel Maddy

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 3:47pm PST 
She's actually done with the antibiotics as of yesterday, but I'd like to give them probiotics for a bit since we're starting to feed raw more regularly and I'd like to see a smooth transition. Although, wouldn't feeding raw pretty much be the same thing as giving probiotics? As far as getting good bacteria back in their systems. Wait, I'm confused. Does she even need the probiotics now? Oye.

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '07 3:57pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2