GO!

Solid Gold Seameal vs. Nupro

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 10:27am PST 
Can anybody in a nutshell tell me what the "main" differences are?

What would you suggest?

We have been using the Solid Gold Seameal for months upon months now, and really like it, but are interested in the Nupro also.

Thanks!
[notify]
JaVa

I'm too cool for- a motto

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 10:47am PST 
Solid Gold:
Dried Seaweed Meal | Flaxseed Meal | Dehydrated Lemon Powder | Carotene | Chlorophyll | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Dried Asparagus Oryzae Fermentation Product | Dried Asperigillus Niger Fermentation Product | Pineapple | Lactose

Nupro:
DESICCATED LIVER|NORWEGIAN KELP|MICROPULVERIZED BEE POLLEN|IMPORTED YEAST CULTURE|FLAXSEED AND GROUND BORAGE SEED| LECITHIN|GARLIC CONCENTRATE|LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS|CALCIUM CITRATE

Hey Grace, are you supplementing for something in particular? Might help in making suggestions on which might be better for you.

Right off the bat, there are a few suggestions I would make...

Calcium: I don't like the idea of supplementing even more CA than what's in kibble, unless there is a medical reason for doing so. Especially for giant breeds.

Flaxseed: Not a bad thing for dogs without grain intolerance, but as the second ingredient in SG seems a little excessive

Yeast Culture: The Dog Food Project gives the following information on yeast culture: "An unnecessary, feed-grade ingredient in pet foods, added mainly as a flavoring to make inexpensive food more attractive. Lacks the nutritional value of higher quality yeast supplements. The media on which the yeast was grown is not identified. Also a potential allergen for some dogs. "

Lactose: Some dogs do not tolerate lactose in the diet very well, could cause digestive upset.

Hope this helps! big grin
[notify]
Isabel &- Rosie:The- Dynamic Duo

Kickin' Butt and- Takin' Names

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 10:50am PST 
We use Nupro, and have had pretty good results with it. It's made from dessicated beef liver, bee pollen, kelp, garlic, and other stuff. We use it as a little extra bonus on our food. We get a sprinkling of it with our food along with an omega 3-6-9 capsule. It tastes delicious.

We've never used the Seameal before. You should google Nupro and check out their site.

BTW the yeast culture used in Nurpo is nutritional yeast, not brewer's yeast. Nutritional yeast is better for you. That's one of the reasons we use Nupro. We won't use brewer's yeast.

Here's the rundown from the website about their ingredients, what they use, and it's purpose.

DESICCATED LIVER: The ultimate in palatability! This fresh, natural flavor of real liver is wonderful for the finicky eater because when mixed with water, makes a great gravy that dogs crave. Supplies iron and B vitamins.

NORWEGIAN KELP: A natural seaweed that is a rich source of trace minerals including iodine, which is used for proper glandular function and metabolism. An excellent source of vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and E. These vitamins are beneficial for maintaining proper health and are responsible for the growth of bones, a healthy heart rate, a sound central nervous system, and helping muscles stay firm and strong. Norwegian kelp grows deep in the ocean, mostly in cold waters, so it contains valuable nutrients from the ocean floor. Aside from nourishing the glands, it is beneficial for overall good health. Supports healthy pigmentation and coat highlights.

MICROPULVERIZED BEE POLLEN: One of nature’s healthiest and most powerful ‘superfoods.’ Bee pollen contains an incredible array of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enzymes. It’s one of the most nutritionally complete natural substances found on earth. Supports a healthy immune system. Keeps healthy hormones in balance. Supports allergy protection.

IMPORTED YEAST CULTURE: Helps maintain a full and healthy coat which may minimize the occurrence of excessive shedding, hot spots and itchy, dry fur. Provides proteins, zinc and biotin. Best source of B vitamins. Most companies use cheaper brewers yeast which can be a combination of hops, corn, grains, wheat, etc., whatever comes from the brewery. Many animals have grain allergies, and this ingredient may further aggravate an allergy condition. With nutritional yeast culture, it is grown on sugar beets, a veggie source, so NO grains are present at all. Something to think about when reading ingredient labels.

FLAXSEED AND GROUND BORAGE SEED: Provides essential fatty acids. Most absorbable vegetable fatty acid for the canine. Rich in omega 3 fatty acids, alpha-linolenic acid, fiber and lignans. Helps maintain healthy shiny fur and soft skin.

LECITHIN: A rich source of choline, which the body requires to make acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter which is essential for normal, healthy nerve and brain function. Supports healthy liver function, too.

GARLIC CONCENTRATE:Wonderful ingredient that does so much for the body. Garlic contains allicin, a broad-spectrum antimicrobial capable of warding off different types of infection. Supports a healthy immune system.

LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS: Promotes healthy digestion which may reduce the occurrence of flatulence. Because NUPRO is in a powdered form and not from concentrate, it is easily assimilated into the system and digested with the dog’s food. There is no sense in giving an animal this superior product if they don’t digest it properly. Also promotes friendly bacteria in intestinal tract.

CALCIUM CITRATE: Calcium is best absorbed in an acidic environment, hence calcium citrate is the best absorbed supplemental form of calcium---it does not require extra stomach acid for absorption. Intended to provide nutritive support for healthy bones, teeth and nerve function.

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '07 10:58am PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 11:03am PST 
Another point to clarify. Nurpo does not contain lactose. Lactose is a type of sugar that is part of milk. Lactobacillus acidopholus is a bacteria that promotes digestion. They are completely different things. If you have digestive issues this bacteria can be very helpful.

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '07 11:05am PST

[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 11:14am PST 
JaVa- I think the main reason I supplement with what I do is to help promote healthy skin/coat.

Right now, everything I supplement with right now circles around healthy skin/coat and joint heath...

-Biotin 5mg/day (for both dogs)
-3V Capsules Lg-Giant Breed (Zeus 2 capsules/day, Grace 1 capsule/day)
-Cosequin Equine (1/2 a scoop each/day)
-Vitamin C 500mg/day (for both dogs)
-Scoop (of reccomended size, I don't remember what it is) of Seameal AM&PM.

So what do you think?
[notify]
JaVa

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 11:45am PST 
I think it would be cheaper and better for you to just supplement for those two conditions.

For skin I would do Fish oil capsules, make sure you use one that also supplements for Vit E as it can be depleted by fish oil.

For joints, I would use a supplement that not only has Glucosamine and condroitin, but MSM as well.

In regards to supplementing Vit C, you might want to read the article Why Adding Vitamin C to y\Your Dog's Diet is not always a Wise Thing to Do..."

Hope this helps!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 12:01pm PST 
If you're going to use fish oil make sure the package says that the oil is molecularly distilled. This is the only way to guarantee that the oil is free of contaminants. Also, use a body oil and not liver oil as liver oil has large amounts of vitamin A which can be harmful as it is not discharged from your system like water soluable vitamins are.

We're getting great results from an omega 3-6-9 capsule we got from Whole Foods. Our skin and coats are in great shape. Most oil supplements have some vitamin E in them as a preservative. It should be notated on the label. If you want we can pmail the brand to you.
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 12:13pm PST 
We're getting to be low on our Cosequin Equine. Do you think going the way of the Cosequin Equine Optimized with MSM would be a better route than the original Cosequin Equine?

I looked it up (since I don't have them on hand right now). In one 3V Capsule, there is 75 IU of Vitamin E. Does this seem like enough?

And I have no idea if the 3V Capsules are molecularly distilled. Does anybody else happen to know? I tried Googling it, and got nothing.

I have thought about experimenting with krill oil, but haven't done much with it but thought about it...

The Biotin is something Grace's "breeder" had us do, and it really helped Zeus with his itchies, so have kept up with it.

And JaVa, thanks for the article on Vitamin C. I myself had always thought Vitamin C wasn't the greatest thing for those of the canine species, but a few Bullmastiff breeders had recently suggested it to me for the dogs' joints and Zeus inflammation . Unfortunately, I just bought 300 capsules of it! laugh out loud Guess it wouldn't hurt us humans to take it through the cold/flu season anyhow.

As far as supplementing with either of these Seameal or Nupro) goes, do you think it's not needed period? Zeus is currently eating the Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue, and Grace is eating the Solid Gold Wolf King. (The only treats they get are Lakse Kronch Salmon treats, and the occasional Wellness Pure Reward treat.) It's my long-term goal to keep Zeus completely grain-free, itch-free and pain-free with his "moderate" hip dysplasia. My goal Grace just to stay healthy (which she has always been except for a recent battle with kennel cough) and keep up that beautiful red coat!

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '07 12:18pm PST

[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 12:22pm PST 
So that you don't have to look it up, Cosequin Optimized w/ MSM contains...

7,200 mg of Glucosamine HCL per scoop
1,200 mg of Chondroitin Sulfate per scoop
5,000 mg of MSM per scoop

We'd be doing like, what? 1/4 a scoop or so with that?
[notify]
JaVa

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '07 12:55pm PST 
We're getting to be low on our Cosequin Equine. Do you think going the way of the Cosequin Equine Optimized with MSM would be a better route than the original Cosequin Equine? I would go with the cheapest route. If it's cheaper to get a supplement from your local drug store, do that.

I looked it up (since I don't have them on hand right now). In one 3V Capsule, there is 75 IU of Vitamin E. Does this seem like enough? This seems a little low to me, I have heard recommendations of up to 200 iu per 50 lbs of body weight, though that seems a bit high. I would pick somewhere in between. I would also cut down and supplement every other or every three days unless you think they really need it.

And I have no idea if the 3V Capsules are molecularly distilled. Does anybody else happen to know? I tried Googling it, and got nothing. I couldn't find anything either.

As far as supplementing with either of these Seameal or Nupro) goes, do you think it's not needed period? Zeus is currently eating the Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue, and Grace is eating the Solid Gold Wolf King. It's my long-term goal to keep Zeus completely grain-free (the only treats they get are Lakse Kronch Salmon treats) and for Grace just to stay healthy (which she has always been) and keep up that beautiful red coat.
As a rule of thumb, I tend to avoid the ''all in one'' supplements and only treat for conditions I feel need the attention. I haven't done enough research on the other ingredients to understand their benefits or their long-term impacts to speak intelligently about them, but I would say it's borderline overkill for your healthy dogs. The foods you are feeding are of excellent quality, and are designed to provide "complete" nutrition for most canines, these should be sufficient for them. I know the extra oil and joint supplements won't hurt them, so sticking with those would be OK.

Of course this is all my own layman advice, but I've probably done more research on this stuff than your average bear. big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3