GO!

How many calories are present in a 12" Bully stick?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Benny

Obey the Corgi!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '07 7:36pm PST 
Benny is on a diet, and I want to give him something to chew on, but am curious if Bully sticks contain several calories or not?

One Ebay sale mentions her Bully sticks are calorie-free...

Anyone have any information on this?
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '07 8:09pm PST 
Don't ask me how I know this.. my mommie is quite a freak at this.

A regular sized bully stick (not Jumbo, which is extra thick) is:

11 calories/inch
So a 12" bully stick is: approximately 130 calories

Approximate nutrition fact (may vary a bit per brand):
Protein- 80 ~ 85%%
Fat - around 2%
Moisture - 12 ~ 15%
Fiber - around 1%

There's no way that a bully stick can be calorie free - all that skin and stuff is protein. Maybe the seller really meant to say "fat free." At around 2%, I guess you could say that it is almost fat free. Pig ears, on the other hand, have 12% fat.

Edited by author Sat Aug 11, '07 8:10pm PST

[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '07 8:17pm PST 
Above being said, I think bully sticks can be useful for some doggies on a diet. If you don't have ultra strength jaws, it could take you hours to finish a few inches.
[notify]

Benny

Obey the Corgi!

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '07 7:19am PST 
Yea I figured "no calories" had to be wrong. Any animal part contains calories...

smile Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '07 12:35pm PST 
You're welcome! smile

Yeah, every animal part except that indigestible hair maybe smile
[notify]