GO!

tomato juice

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sadie

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 4:10pm PST 
I read an article about giving dogs 2 tablespoons daily of tomato juice to prevent lawn burning by dog's urine.

I have never been concerned about this but I'm temporary renting the house we are in and I have noticed my dogs urine is causing brown spots on the lawn.

Do you think Tomato juice is safe for them?
Or are there any other suggestions?
Thanks
[notify]
Daisy

What?

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 5:40pm PST 
I use to live in a condo and the condo association sent out notices and asked us to give all our dogs tomato juice to preserve the lawn. I checked with the vet before I gave it to my first dog Bella. The vet said it wouldn't hurt her at all so I started putting it in her food. It actually did seem to work at the condos. We all used it since we liked the condos and the association. I know other owners that checked with their vets also and were given the ok.
[notify]
Tate

It wasn't me, it- was the cat.

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 8:14pm PST 
Any particular reason it's tomato juice and not just tomatoes? Or would regular tomatoes (canned or fresh) have the same effect? Seems like most tomato juice is pretty high as far as salt content goes, so not necessarily something you want to give them all the time.
[notify]

Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Sat May 12, '07 8:47pm PST 
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html

Interest ing reading.

"One particular home remedy, tomato juice, likely has its primary benefit through both increased salt and water intake. While salt will make the dog drink more and dilute the urine, increased salt intake can cause problems for dogs with existing kidney or heart conditions. Owners should not alter their dog’s diet without consulting with their veterinarian."
[notify]
Tate

It wasn't me, it- was the cat.

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 7:30am PST 
Interesting stuff Goofball. Thanks for the info!
[notify]
Sadie

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 10:38am PST 
Thanks for all your post, I think I will call the vet tomorrow morning and sees what he thinks. Sadie has had bladder infections in the past and i'm a bit worried this might trigger something due to the salt intake.
Very good link goofball!! Thanks again!!
[notify]
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 10:47am PST 
I wouldn't be concerned with a dog that has never had urinary issues; however, whereas Sadie has had issues with the bladder, I would certainly check with the vet. I've seen a lot of home made recipes that call for tomato paste and while I've never used it, I wonder if it would have the same effects.

I know a lot of pet companies put out products that are designed to help with this, I guess I would actually compare the ingredients against the tomato juice! puppy
[notify]
Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 10:54am PST 
Mom actually took a better look at the lawn in our backyard today and saw yellow spots, which may be my fault red face I think she's contemplating the tomato juice idea smile
[notify]
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 11:02am PST 
Winnie,

Us doggies gotta do what doggies gotta do!!!! laugh out loudpuppy
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 11:25am PST 
From the reading, it seems that it is female dogs who are more likely to cause the burn spots on the lawn since they concentrate their pee in one squat. One way to minimize that effect seems to be to water that area to dilute the urine within the first 8 hours? The tomato juice I guess is either supposed to make them drink more (diluting nitrogen concentration) or alter the pH of the urine (which isn't the cause for the grass burn apparently). The smaller the dog the less damage done since it is less urine (less nitrogen) as well. Some grasses are more affected than others.

On a side note, when I get a property with nice grass, I will be sure to follow her outside with a pitcher of water...haha
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2