GO!

Best diet for Shar Pei

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Mojo

Snorts to ya!

Barked: Tue Feb 27, '07 4:48pm PST 
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on feeding my Pei. I am currently feeding him Nutro and about 3 times a week I mix in white meat turkey, carrots, and a little pasta. I was told by a former Pei breeder that his coat seemed like it was on the dry side. I have also recently learned that they are prone to kidney disease. So, I know that I need a low fat, low protein diet. I just need some ideas on how to best supply this type of diet to him.

Thanks!! Mojee's momma
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Tue Feb 27, '07 5:30pm PST 
Skin problems can be very common with a low-quality food. For best results, go for a really really good food. Per bag it will seem costly, but it will actually be cheaper in the long run because you'll feed your dog a lot less. Make sure to ration the meals to keep your Pei in shape!

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/38 6665
Super-Premium Dog Food vs. Economy Brands
[notify]
Harley (past- foster dog)

Did someone say- 'walk'??

Barked: Tue Feb 27, '07 8:55pm PST 
I agree I would look for a high quality premium food especially for a Shar-Pei. Also you may want to have your dog tested for food allergies, they are VERY common in Shar-Pei and the dry skin could be related to allergies.

Also I would not feed a low protein/fat food. This could be the cause of the dry coat. The only time you need low protein/fat is for SOME dogs who already have kidney disease (not even all dogs with kidney disease should be on low protein diet). Recent research has shown that high protein does not CAUSE kidney disease and low protein/fat can be detrimental to dogs.

You can read more about this here:
Protein and Kidney Disease in Dogs:
http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html#protein

Edited by author Tue Feb 27, '07 8:58pm PST

[notify]

princess

Barked: Wed Feb 28, '07 12:02am PST 
hello wave i would recommend trying to feed him a lamb and rice kibble (make sure that no "by-products" is listed on the ingredients). breeders here in my country (philippines) say that many shar-pei are allergic to chicken so they avoid feeding it as earyly as pups. hope this helps.
[notify]
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...

Barked: Wed Feb 28, '07 5:30am PST 
Woof! Woof!

I personally don't think that Nutro is a low quality kibble. I think it has GREAT ingredients; however, how about switching her to the whole food diet for all meals? (The turkey, etc. that you mentioned!) Then again Carmen's kind of bias on that since she is home fed!!! BOL!!!!!!! Hope you can find something yummy that works for you!!! puppypuppypuppy
[notify]
Maya

Excuse me, are- you gonna eat- that?

Barked: Wed Feb 28, '07 11:54am PST 
How about Timberwolf organics, I use the blackforest for my guys. Maya has colitis and needs to have a low fat food, the fat % cannot be any higher than 14%. This is what Maya needs, they both eat it and are doing wonderful.
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Wed Feb 28, '07 12:32pm PST 
Nutro is really not very great.

In Nutro MAX Adult, 5 of the top 8 ingredients are grain. All but 1 are indigestible filler, and that 1 is not the top grain.

In Nutro Natural Choice® Chicken Meal, Rice, and Oatmeal Formula (Adult), ingredients #2 #3 #4 are rice-- meaning that there is more garbage white rice in the food than chicken. Because the company had to split it into three ingredients in order to put it under Chicken Meal in the list, it's probably much more. 4 of the 6 top ingredients are grains-- three of those are crap. The next ingredient is Soybean Oil-- NO NO NO! It also contains Dried Beet Pulp (causes kidney failure), and Dried Egg Product.

Also, I fed my dog MAX, and she has "soft-serve" poops and tummy upset until the bag ran out. Nutro is an Economy brand with a nice package. No wonder your dog wasn't doing well. Upgrade and he will improve!
way to go
[notify]
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...

Barked: Wed Feb 28, '07 1:35pm PST 
Carmen was on Nutro Ultra Puppy for awhile and did fine!!! I only switched her so that I could find a grain free kibble. Now, she is pretty much all home cooked fed so it really doesn't matter one way or the other. However, I also believe beet pulp may cause issues - it doesn't mean it does in every dog. Plenty of things can cause issues...doesn't mean it's set in stone that it's going to happen.
[notify]
Heidi

Barked: Wed Feb 28, '07 2:00pm PST 
For my grandparents peis they each did best on a diffrent foodshock

they stuck with eagle pack holostic for a while and two of them did great on it but for one it just wasn't good so they recently switched again but I don't remember what to.
[notify]