GO!

Help! What food do I feed my Westie?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lia- Fáil- ♥

I'm not spoiled,- I'm just loved!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 6:36pm PST 
I'm picking up my pup in about 2 weeks and I've done research about dry kibble, but I'm not too sure what to choose for a reasonable price. I was thinking Royal Canin or Authority for my westie. Any suggestions that aren't too pricey? I've read past threads, but I was wondering if westies like a certain kibble better. Please help!
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 6:45pm PST 
You should talk to the breeder that you are getting your pup from and find out what they feed their Westies. I'm assuming that the breeder will start the pups on solid food, so it would be a good idea to at least get a small bag of that so you can gradually change the pup over to a new brand if you decide to switch.

As for which brands to switch to ... I've always been very happy with Nutro (Nutro Ultra is the brand's best option). It is reasonably priced and has a pretty good list of ingredients. I recently (as in today BOL) started a switch to Royal Canin, which, I am told, is comparable to Nutro. Other popular brands among Dogsters are Innova, Orijen, Blue Buffalo, and Nature's Recipe. I'm sure there are more, but I can't recall them off the top of my head laugh out loud
[notify]
Lia- Fáil- ♥

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 6:58pm PST 
They feed their pups Iams, but from what I can tell Iams isn't to par of what I want to feed my pup. I thought about Nutro Ultra and By Nature as well. I've read as those threads as well about other brands, but the price kinda hits hard. I appreciate the thoughts! They were quite helpful! big grin
[notify]

Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 7:16pm PST 
Nutro I found to be pretty reasonably priced for the quality of the ingredients list. You could get the smallest bag of Iams and a small bag of Nutro (or whatever you are planning on feeding) just to mix them together for the first while so the switch isn't too abrupt.

As far as price is concerned, generally the higher quality the kibble is, the less you will have to feed. So while a bag of higher quality might cost more, you are feeding less so it will last you longer. But I still think some of the premium quality stuff is priced way too high.

It's all about what you are comfortable feeding and what works for you, though. It looks like you are on the right track way to go
[notify]
Dulce

Bullies Are- The Best!

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 10:59pm PST 
Here are some great quality foods, for a good price:

-Natural Balance
-Canidae
-Nutro
-Wellness
-Solid Gold
-Natures Recipe
[notify]
Lia- Fáil- ♥

Barked: Fri Feb 16, '07 11:08pm PST 
Thank you very much! I'll definitely consider those options!
[notify]
Lucy

She's a maniac,- maniac on the- floor....

Barked: Sat Feb 17, '07 9:45am PST 
There are lots of great foods......for a WESTIE though, you may like Solid Gold Wee Bits (for small breeds) --the bag is glittery pink with a WESTIE on it too puppy It's bison and salmon. Kibble is tiny for small mouths and it has a higher protein/fat content which is good for small breeds. It's an adult food but I'm quite sure it is ok to feed puppies too (you should feed more than you would for an adult though).
[notify]
Wolfie

Wolf-man

Barked: Sat Feb 17, '07 9:58am PST 
So many choices!

Recommendations:

Nature's Logic (Wolfie eats this; although it may be hard to find in your area--www.natureslogic.com)
Innova Puppy
Solid Gold Wee Bits
Healthwise Puppy
By Nature foods
Orijen
Royal Canin mini puppy 33
Nutro Ultra puppy
Bil-Jac puppy
[notify]
Lia- Fáil- ♥

Barked: Mon Feb 19, '07 12:08pm PST 
Thank you for the input! Right now I don't have a vehicle so I'm stuck just going to petsmart for food so my choices are limited. You all have been very helpful! hail
[notify]
Rocky (In- Loving- Memory)

Rocky aka rocket- dog

Barked: Mon Feb 19, '07 12:16pm PST 
Kirkland dog food is a great quality food that is very very very inexpensive and it work great!

Petsmart probably has Natural Balance! Good luck!way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2