GO!

Why is there no pork based dog food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Joy

Joy- lived to annoy- ups man.

Barked: Fri Jan 5, '07 6:10am PST 
Hi guys, I'm just wondering why there's no pork based dog food. Is pork meat bad for dogs? I've seen chicken, beef, fish, bison, buffalo, venison, elk, lamb, duck, etc.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Fri Jan 5, '07 6:26am PST 
There is pork dog food - see here

NATURE PORK & SWEET POTATO

There are others. I have no idea why it's not so common though. I am sure others will tell us! BOL
[notify]
♪ Laila ♪

It wasn't me, it- was the cats!

Barked: Fri Jan 5, '07 6:31am PST 
On theur web site Eagle Pack say it's an expensive meat and that is why you don't see it a lot. It's according to them hypoallergenic:

look at this link:

http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Meats.html

happy reading!

personnaly I love Eagle Pack's web site, it is really well documented with tons of info on nutrition. I even called cause I had a question and the nutritionist actually picked up the phoe! (see extensions on web site).

Happy reading!
[notify]

Coco Bean

Tough Bean to- crack...

Barked: Fri Jan 5, '07 7:24am PST 
I also read that pork is one of the meats where "most" of the edible or human-grade meat is used for human consumption and therefore not available for dog food. My mommy tries to make sure that any food she feeds uses human-grade products so just be careful and check out the recommended food (by Nature) and see what you think, but use your best judgement. If you do try the Nature, let us know what you think, I love pork! WOOF!
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Fri Jan 5, '07 7:37am PST 
We get home cooked food so all our meat is human grade. I must admit admit that mummy doesn't buy pork often but once in a while we will get ground pork - it's more fatty so that is why we don't get it often.
[notify]
Joy

Joy- lived to annoy- ups man.

Barked: Fri Jan 5, '07 11:20am PST 
I'm just wondered why other premium dog food (Merrick, Timberwolf, Solid Gold, Canidae, Innova) doesn't make pork based dog food. I thought Bison, Venison, elk, salmon or other exotic meat will be more expensive than pork. I'm not comfortable to try by nature pork based dog food. I tried to stick with dog food brand that I know it's good for my dogs.
[notify]
Wrangler

Wild Child!

Barked: Fri Jan 5, '07 12:16pm PST 
Isn't pork more fatty than beef and chicken? That might be part of the reason why too. I know bison is usually very lean too, not sure about duck and elk and the rest though. But then again lamb is also supposed to be more fatty, and there's lots of lamb dog foods.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Jan 5, '07 2:04pm PST 
Pork ranks just under lamb, in fattiness. Usually.

I've always heard that pork spoils very quickly. That could be a major issue, depending on how a company ships it's raw materials, processes, preserves and packages their kibble. I don't know how much the end product would be affected, but I do know spoiled kibble is extremely dangerous.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Fri Jan 5, '07 2:07pm PST 
LOL Coco

I've always wondered what was inside those sausages.. hmmm
[notify]
Shimmer

I can rise to- any standard- that you set.

Barked: Fri Jan 5, '07 3:48pm PST 
As far as lamb it depends if it from a hair breed or wool breed .. 2 major types of sheep....

Hairs breeds have hardly any fat on thier body..

they are extraordinary lean...

cheers
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2