GO!

Nutro Natural Choice - Rumored Formula Change?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 7:01pm PST 
Now I don't know this for a fact, which is why I am asking you all here, but I heard a rumor on another pet forum that Nutro is changing the formula of Natural Choice to include soybean oil and the food will start being sold in stores like Walmart. Does anyone have any information on this or know of the validity behind these rumors?

I could not find any information through google so that's why i'm asking if any of you know anything smile
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 7:37pm PST 
At least some varieties have soybean oil now... Senior Brown Rice & Lamb does. Ingrediants are near the bottom of the page. So does Chicken Meal, Rice & Oatmeal formula. I don't feel like checking all of them.

I can't find any definite connection between Nutro and WalMart, either. But it wouldn't surprise me if there was one.
[notify]
♥Maze- l♥

Making the world- a better- place!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 15, '06 8:01pm PST 
I know they did add soybean oil to some formulas, but I have no idea about Walmart.
[notify]

Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Sat Sep 16, '06 12:11am PST 
Hmmm looks like we're going to be looking for a new food this weekend!
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 16, '06 2:51am PST 
Great heads-up Jamie! I don't know anything about Natural Choice, but I know that dog foods change, and not always for the better. Iams, Eukaneuba, and Purina are very good foods to look to when researching what can happen when companies buy out others and ingredients and availability change. Gotta stay informed...
[notify]
Lucky ~In- Loving- Memory~

What's going- on????

Barked: Sat Sep 16, '06 8:18pm PST 
I was a demonstrator for Nutro until a few months ago. As far as I am 100% aware of, all of the Natural Choice varieties have soybean oil added. There were some changes in the Ultra line but I can't remember what. I quit after hearing way too many customers complain about ear infections, and then one of my dogs came down with an ear infection. They also had lost interest in eating it (weird when all four dogs at the time, decided they didn't much like it anymore, all at the same time). Thier coats weren't as nice as they had been either, and there was some flaking.

I have heard rumors of the Wal Mart thing, but nothing solid. I had both a store manager and a sales rep for another brand of food ask me if I'd heard it, so it's gotta be coming from somewhere. I switched to Canidae and haven't been happier, my dogs EAT, and the ear infection went away quickly on it's own, and thier coats are nicer.
[notify]
Madiba

Does a motto- taste like- peanut butter?

Barked: Sun Sep 17, '06 6:29am PST 
That's interesting, Lucky. I've been eating Nutro for more than a year, and I have perpetual ear gunk (that brown stinky stuff) during the non-winter months. Do you have any idea what the connection might be? Maybe it's just a coincidence.

At any rate, it's good to know about the formula changes. Mommy thought that she was giving me something good quality! Silly human. She has now started feedng me raw but supplementing with a little Nutro because she has a lot left over, and I'm used to having breakfast when she sneaks out the door in the morning. What do you recommend once our stock is depleted?
[notify]
Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Sun Sep 17, '06 3:41pm PST 
Woohoo mom finally convinced dad it was time for new food... he agreed! We went to the store and the lady suggested Canidae... mom had always wanted to put us on something like Canidae or Innova but everywhere she looked it was soo expensive. But for the same size bag of Canidae as Natural Choice, it is only $3 more!! Mom got a 40lb bag of Canidae for $35 after tax and we were paying $31 for a 40lb bag of Natural Choice. We're so happy we get to test it out tonight!!
[notify]
Wexford

Barked: Sun Sep 17, '06 3:50pm PST 
Sounds great, Jamie! Let us know how you like your new food!
[notify]
Lucky ~In- Loving- Memory~

What's going- on????

Barked: Sun Sep 17, '06 7:58pm PST 
Canidae is my #1 choice now. My dogs all eat it, nobody leaves food lay anymore. I can feed ONE bag of food to all 5 of my dogs (2 Shep mixes, a lab mix, a golden mix, and a Shih Tzu, and the lab and golden mixes are puppies yet). I feed less, too. Trey ( at the time 6 months old, golden mix) was eating SEVEN cups of Nutro Lg Breed puppy a day. SEVEN CUPS! Well at least, he should have been. But he'd eat about half of it and then throw it on the floor and ignore it. And that food runs $36 for a 40lb bag. He eats THREE cups of Canidae a day, and is at a perfect weight, and his skin and coat are BEAUTIFUL. So I'm saving a lot of money. I was using 3 different kinda of Nutro at a time (lg breed adult, lg breed puppy, small bites) and now everyone eats out of one bag.

As far as the seasonal ear gunk, I don't know. If it comes and goes with the season, who knows? But my thoery is that better food gives a better immune system, which makes it easier to fight off stuff. That's why I'm thinking Little Man didn't come down with his allergy problems this summer. Last summer he'd only been eating decent food (Nutro, before the ingredient change) for a few months. His skin and coat were better, but he was still in the process of healing. And the corn pollen made him very itchy and he had to take Benedryl every day. This summer he had more than a year of good food under his collar, he was just changed to Canidae, and he was much healthier than he had been. His body was better able to fight off the allergy problem and he didn't get itchy at all this summer. I don't know if I'm right or not, but that's what I think!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3