GO!

dog food rankings

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

♥Maze- l♥

Making the world- a better- place!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 13, '06 2:15pm PST 
There's a whole bunch of controversy about which is the best- does anybody have a ranking of it (like from best to worst)? I just want to know different opinions and see how they match up. Thanks!
Woof~ Mazel
[notify]
Taco

I LOVE water!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 13, '06 2:26pm PST 
Mazel I waws thinking about the same thing! I'm all confused about food ranking! Thanks to have started this thread! I can't wait to see the results!
[notify]
Bella

They call me- Smella Bella

Barked: Tue Jun 13, '06 2:33pm PST 
This is off the PAWS website...

http://www.paws.org/cas/resources/fact_sheets_general/ foodrating.php
[notify]

Sitka

made for the- snow

Barked: Tue Jun 13, '06 2:57pm PST 
Given the time, money, and resources...my owner would say that a BARF diet is #1 by a long shot!!!

But like many owners, that just isn't a realistic possibilty so he feeds me Canidae...which works great for me. While he thinks there are other dry foods that are just as good, and maybe even better...he thinks Canidae is the best bang for the buck since it is $36 for a 40lbs bag (less than $1 per pound) and yet doesn't require any more cups per day than many foods costing much more. And it isn't full of undesirable ingredients!

Just his $0.02
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Tue Jun 13, '06 3:21pm PST 
Here is a site with dog food rankings that I agree with:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

I feed the raw food diet, but if I fed kibble I would be feeding Innova Evo or another grain free kibble like Solid Gold's Barking at the Moon or Timberwolf Organics Wild and Natural as those are the ones I think are the best.

Edit: and Sitka, the raw food diet really doesn't take much time, effort or money! We just switched about a week ago. Our Evo cost around 70 cents a day and whole chickens are often on sale for 70 cents a lb or so-- since Sabraina eats a lb a day it's about the same cost! There is about 10 minutes each week spent bagging into individual portion sizes, and that's all the time and effort it takes.

Edited by author Tue Jun 13, '06 3:24pm PST

[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Tue Jun 13, '06 3:22pm PST 
[mom here] Sitka raises an important point... it's about doing research, comparing nutritional value and ingredients of foods, plus also weighing in time, feasability, availability, and cost. I don't know that Dogsters will ever come to a consensus on best and worst and what's in between!

Somewhere I found a website that gave lots of commercial dog foods (both grocery-store types and "premium") a "grade." I'll see if I can find it, and if I do, I'll post it here...
[notify]
Takiah

Barked: Tue Jun 13, '06 5:27pm PST 
I don't think there is any possible way for someone to prove which foods are the best, and rate them exactly in a ranking. You just can't do it, it depends on what the ranker looks at as being most important in a food (opinions on this vary!!), and also there is no technical or scientific way to really measure out what a perfect food is.

Generally though a series of rules are defined for what makes a 'good' dog food...ingredients (both quantity and quality), preservatives and other artifical stuff, and also what kind and quality of sources the main protein and fat sources are coming from. Based on these, there are many lists out there. Whole Dog Journal also releases a list every year but you can't access it unless you are a member. Generally speaking though, many of the same foods repeat themselves in all of the surveys, so these are generally good choices smile
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 13, '06 7:53pm PST 
Just as another poster mentioned. You really can't rank foods as being one better than the other. It depends on "your" dog and what "your" dog does best on. There are a few foods on that link provided that have synthetic vitamin K in it which I would consider would put the food in a lower catagory and not a high quality food.

Even the Whole Dog Journal has allowed some inferior dog foods to make their top food list.

What you need to do is to research ingredients and make your own decision. For example, Natura dog foods make excellent foods such as Innova, California Naturals, EVO etc my dogs cannot eat any of these foods. I also love Canidae, but only 3 of my dogs do well on this food. Nature's variety makes wonderful foods, but, not all of my dogs can tolerate all the ingredients.

Go to "The Dog Food Project" site and do some research on which ingredients to avoid and what makes a good quality product. This way you can come to your own conclusion.
[notify]
Yasha the- Russian Toy- Terrier

RrrrrrRRRRrruff.

Barked: Wed Jun 14, '06 9:32am PST 
The Dog Food Project really helped me make my decision on what is best for my dog and my cat. I learned a lot about the ingredients in foods as well as what to stay away from. I chose Canidae, but you may choose something different and be just as happy as I am. smile
[notify]
Yasha the- Russian Toy- Terrier

RrrrrrRRRRrruff.

Barked: Wed Jun 14, '06 9:34am PST 
The Dog Food Project really helped me make my decision on what is best for my dog and my cat. I learned a lot about the ingredients in foods as well as what to stay away from. I chose Canidae, but you may choose something different and be just as happy as I am. smile
[notify]