GO!

Is fish good for dogs?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ka'pua- Blossom

Princess Ka'pua

Barked: Wed May 31, '06 1:33pm PST 
I've heard that tuna is good to give to dogs. But I'm not sure if its true, because I've never seen any dog food made with fish.

If fish is good for dogs, what kind/type of fishes are good to give them?

How much should be given?

I appreciate the help everyone! thanks

♥ Ka'pua's mom
[notify]
Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Wed May 31, '06 3:06pm PST 
Fish is good for dogs. In fact, salmon oil is recommended as a supplement for dogs with poor skin or coat conditions. smile

Oops forgot to add.. and lots of premium dog foods are made with fish (mostly salmon).

Edited by author Wed May 31, '06 3:06pm PST

[notify]
Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Wed May 31, '06 3:08pm PST 
I'm no nutritionist, but I have to say, Summer does very well on fish. She's on Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue (which is their all fish, grain free formula) and we're transitioning to Wilderness Elk & Salmon over the next two weeks. And I give her steamed whiting on occasion, and make her whiting and sweet potato treats! WHich she loves! If you're concerned about mercury levels, there are fish with low mercury levels out there - whiting being one of them, and I think tilapia. You can do some research online too.
[notify]

Sundance

Play, Play,- Play, PLAY!

Barked: Wed May 31, '06 8:00pm PST 
I would think that fish would be healthy for dogs. I have heard of fish oil supplements for dogs with skin conditions, or even just to keep the coat extra shiny and reduce shedding and dander. I also know that some dog foods contain Omega-3, which is from fish and beneficial to their skin and coat, and I believe, even brain function. The only thing I would watch out for, as mentioned above, is certain types of fish that contain high levels of mercury. Salt water fish have more than fresh water.
[notify]
Daisy

Barked: Thu Jun 1, '06 10:45am PST 
Our dog food contains salmon as the the #1 ingredient. It really helps me out with my skin. I have lots of skin issues and allergies and we have found that the food with fish, rather than beef/pork/chicken/ect., I do much better on. My 4 other brothers and sisters do great on it too even though they don't have any skin problems!!
[notify]
Baloo

Barked: Thu Jun 1, '06 11:02am PST 
Our mom feeds us BARF and we get fresh fish on Fridays. She even fishes it herself! I wish she would stop catching Catfish and start catching more Bass!

Oh and we also get Salmon Oil everyday.
[notify]
Sonoma

Did you say- dinner?

Barked: Thu Jun 1, '06 12:10pm PST 
Sonoma and Polo get our leftover shushi. There's also many foods made with herring, salmon, and I believe trout.
[notify]
Dante

Dante+Phoebe=<3

Barked: Thu Jun 1, '06 12:16pm PST 
Yes it is but take out the bones!
[notify]
Ka'pua- Blossom

Princess Ka'pua

Barked: Thu Jun 1, '06 2:53pm PST 
Wow! Hmm...I must be blind or something. Thanks for the help you guys!

I eat a lot of fish, (usually it's tuna or tilapia), and my dogs do what they do best...BEG for food.

Thanks for the info you guys, I'll definitely keep this in mind. Now that I know it helps with their coat...I'll be more than willing to share with them.

Ka'pua & Kapono's mom
[notify]
Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Thu Jun 1, '06 6:25pm PST 
BE CAREFUL, THOUGH.

If you are going to "share" with your pups, make sure to put the food in their bowls and THEN give it to them. This teaches them that the only food they get is what you put in their bowl. It will also help keep them from begging as much.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2