GO!

Is Purina bad for my dog?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kasey(Imissy- ou)

[[Moms Guardian- Angel]]

Barked: Wed Mar 1, '06 6:47pm PST 
I was reading other posts today and saw you guys talking about Purina not being good for dogs..I have for several years fed my cat, Tigger, this and she is great (only just a big grouch) and now that I adopted Kasey, I have had her on Purina Healthy Bites and now I have switched her over to the "Little Bites, Indoor complete formula" since she spends 99.5 percent of the time indoors...I want to do whats best for her...but I don't have that much money to spend on food for her when I have to take her to the vet a lot lately....I don't mind spending money to get her some good food...but I have had my cat on Purina Cat chow for years and she is healthy....and I have had Kasey since January 7, 2006 and so If you can help with this I would love some info.
[notify]
Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Wed Mar 1, '06 6:56pm PST 
Kasey -- It is true that there are some "better quality" pet foods available, BUT if your pets have done fine on Purina and are happy and healthy, then there is really no need to change. smile

The only "bad" food is no food!!
[notify]
Diesel

if i want it,- it's mine

Barked: Wed Mar 1, '06 6:59pm PST 
hey Kasey! Purina isn't one of the top foods but it's not the worst thing you could feed either. if you're doing good on it and like then you don't really need to switch foods. if you want to feed something better though i really like the Merrick brand foods, though they don't have a dry cat food yet , and Wellness. i've heard that Innova Evo is on of the best though i never tried it. these foods can be more expensive and harder to locate since they aren't stocked in the big chain stores like petsmart but you're pup will need to given less food as opposed to the "lesser" foods that have more fillers.

hope that helps! and i used to feed my our dog Maddie on purina weight loss since Everything else made her gain. you may even find Kasey doesn't do well on the higher quality foods since their systems can't take a richer food. just follow your pup based on how they like the food and how healthy they are.
[notify]

Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Wed Mar 1, '06 7:45pm PST 
Kasey - in one of the other threads, I think about the Diamond food, there are a couple of links in there with some good websites about dog food. The breeder had Brody on Puppy Chow and he was a healthy little puppy when I got him. I started reading more and more about dog food (don't even ask how I got started on this because Brody was supposed to be my mom's dog, but I was really concerned about it for some reason), and I started reading about holistic vets and stuff like that. Well, one of the books I read recommended that I get a food with two meat ingredients as the first two ingredients on the package. I couldn't find anything like that at the grocery store or Petsmart, but I thought it sounded like a good idea. Long story short, I switched Brody's food several times before settling on the one he eats now. It turned out that the bag of Puppy Chow was more expensive than the Innova that he eats now. However, the bag of Innova was smaller, but since I have to feed him less of the food per serving, it all evened out, and I would pay the same price. Since Brody is small, he doesn't eat a whole lot, so I don't know if the prices would work out that way for a larger breed dog.

Either way, and no matter what you decide, its definitely your choice and you know your dog and cat better than anyone in the world, so feed them what is right for both of you. My previous dog ate whatever we found out the grocery store, and he lived to be about 12 years old, and my vet said he'd never seen an Akita live that long before. SO, you just never know.
[notify]
JIU-JAI- Popeye

I'm King of the- world!

Barked: Wed Mar 1, '06 9:20pm PST 
Hi Kasey,

I'm in the process of changing my BOY to another dry food. He has been on Purina ProPlan. I have educated myself so much on label reading and understanding the ingredients in the past few days by researching online and asking questions in different forums for opinions and suggestions. Now that I KNOW what the BAD ingredients are and Purina has lots of it..... I just can't pretend like I don't know and can't continue to feed my BOY ProPlan anymore.

My German Shepherd was on Dog Chow Puppy, then Dog Chow Adult for many many years. I feel so bad now that I know it's not a good quality food. I know some dogs have no major health problems eating a lower premium/quality (based on the ingredients, not price) food, but I believe that after years of feeding a food w/ ingredients that are prone or likely to lead to health problems or cancer, it can really do your dog in. My JIU-JAI had a lot of health problems when he became ~7 yrs old. Now that I'm a little smarter, I won't repeat that mistake again. Whether it is due to the Purina or not, I just don' t want to risk it.

I'm no expert, remember... I just started learning about this at the beginning of the week. So, any expert can correct me.

But it doesn't have to cost that much more. The ProPlan Weight Management formula I was feeding my BUDDY costs $28 tax for a 37 lb bag at Petsmart. We thought it was an upgrade from Dog Chow, but it still contains lots of "corn" ingredients and menadione, and by-products, etc..

I narrowed down to several premium brands: Innova EVO, Solid Gold, & Canidae as my considerations. I learned that they are all high quality foods, but certain dogs may not react well to some. However, it doesn't have the "bad" ingredients. I learned that there are a lot of different opinions on each, so you have to just go w/ what works for you and your dog (i.e. price, taste, accessibilty).

But I was surprised to find that Canidae is the cheapest among the three. I found a 40 lb bag dry for $28 + tax at a small local store, which is similar to the ProPlan price. I got some free samples and my BUDDY gulped it down like he's been starving for months. So, I'm gonna go w/ Canidae for now and see how BUD is after 2-3 months. I will actually be paying LESS!!! Woooo Whoooo!! I'm so excited!

I'm a struggling grad student and live on loans, so I have major financial hardship, so money was definitely a concern for me too. But I was going to go for the $40/bag anyway to give my BOY a better quality food. I figured with better food, it would more likely lead to better overall health, decrease the likelihood of more illnesses etc., so in the long run it is worth it. The vet bill for my Baby JIU was a lot, so I would like to avoid that and do what I can as a preventive measure. BUT, my research paid off... I'll be paying a little less and getting a better food. How awesome is that?!!! ; )

I know some say BARF or Raw is best, but I'm just a beginner... I'll take it one step at a time and maybe eventually move to raw. For now, I'm excited that my Boy BUD will be getting a better food from now on.

I would really strongly recommend you to consider a higher quality brand.

Best to you Kasey!

JIU & BUD's big SIS

Edited by author Wed Mar 1, '06 9:41pm PST

[notify]
Cosmic- Isabel- Roverandom

To Infinity and- Beyond!

Barked: Thu Mar 2, '06 4:40am PST 
Dad went through the same thing when he started looking at the ingredients in Iams. We've been through a lot looking at foods. Maybe we can help. Let's take a look at your food.

Here are the ingredients for your dog food:

Ground yellow corn, meat and bone meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean meal, animal digest, brewers rice, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, calcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, parsley flakes, added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2), manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, brewers dried yeast, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
A-4120

There are some things to be concerned about. First let's look at some allergy sources. The first ingredient is corn meal which many dogs have problems with, same with soybeans. Also it has menadione bisulfite which some studies have linked to a variety of health problems including hemolytic anemia. We just found out about this a few weeks ago and changed foods as a result. The ingredients don't tell you what kind of meat is in it, it has added salt.

That being said, you should not feel guilty, or feel like a bad parent. As was mentioned earlier, the only bad food is no food, but obviously you want to know what's in your food or you wouldn't have posted. If you think you might be interested in looking at alternatives we'd be more than happy to bark about it with you. You can message us if you want.
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Thu Mar 2, '06 6:28am PST 
Now I remember why I started looking into dog food...as a puppy, Brody's ears were always bothering him. He had an ear infection when I got him and then he kept rubbing his face on the floor and pawing at his ears. Changing his food cleared this up completely. The vet said it was rare for a puppy to have allergies, but it seemed like he did.
[notify]
Sitka

made for the- snow

Barked: Thu Mar 2, '06 8:30am PST 
In only a few weeks on Canidae, my skin problems are almost gone (I was on Nutro Max Large Breed and them Purina ONE before, both of which have corn in them). My owner didn't know much when he got me, but he has been a very good boy and educated himself on dog food ingredients. He says that even though the Canidae costs a few dollers more for a 40lbs bag than the other brands, he feeds me less of it AND he was able to save lots of $$$ by not having to take me to the vet for my skin problems. He says that if you really look at how much your feeding your dag daily, you'll often find that really good brands will cost LESS per day than grocery store brands. So while its costs a bit more initially (and my owner has a brand new 2 month old baby who requires "special" formula, so he is on a tight budget like many of us), in the long run it can really cost less. Just something to think about. Oh, and did I mention that Canidae Snap-Biscuits are the bomb!!!!
[notify]
Kasey(Imissy- ou)

[[Moms Guardian- Angel]]

Barked: Fri Mar 3, '06 10:02am PST 
huh...this is interesting....
Kasey's Mama
[notify]
Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Mon Mar 6, '06 3:55pm PST 
Before we knew much about foods Minnie was on Pedigree. Nothing was going seriously wrong and she was doing ok on it. Although she did have gas and itchy skin. We weren't sure changing her food would help this. But I started to research food and was surprised by the terrible things Pedigree was putting in their food. For this reason, I changed her to Canidae, made the RIGHT way: with NO corn, wheat, soy, grain fractions, fillers or by products – and naturally preserved! And now, Minnie has less gas and an ABSOLUTLY GORGEOUS coat!!!!! No more itches at all!!!!!! You will not believe how many complements we get on her coat!!!! It is very soft and silky...all thanks to the Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids in Canidae. I would definetly reccomend Canidae for you even if your dog is doing "ok" on Purina. Because I know your dog is not at its best if it is eating Purina. To learn more about Canidae or find a store near you please go to canidae.com. : )

Edited by author Mon Mar 6, '06 3:58pm PST

[notify]
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2