GO!

Best way to store dog food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '06 2:15pm PST 
What is the best way to store dog food after the bag has been opened, in order to retain freshness and therefore extend nutritional value? Is it fine to keep it in the bag and just fold over the top, or would it be better to transfer it over to a tightly sealing plastic tub?

Other posts by this user

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '06 2:30pm PST 
Mommy mixes my Evo with my dinners so a bag of dry kibble lasts forever. To keep it fresh, she pours the entire bag into a Tupperware container. This keeps it fresh and yummy.
[notify]
Bessie

Adopt a dog - save a life

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '06 4:26pm PST 
It is definitely better to store food in an air-tight container to keep it from spoiling or losing flavor.
[notify]

Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '06 4:53pm PST 
I know that containers made especially for storing dog food are available at the larger pet stores.

I personally use a storage bin/food bowl combo. The food goes in the storage unit via a hole that the food bowl twists into. The water bowl is located just beside the food bowl. It's great because it keeps Storm's food fresh, lifts the bowls off of the ground (which is better for your dog's back), and makes the bowls nearly impossible for him to tip over. smile
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '06 5:29pm PST 
We just use a bunch of gallon sized zip lock bags. I'm not sure if our way is the best....
[notify]
Storm

Silent Observer

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '06 6:12am PST 
Snowy, I would imagine that any way that works for you is best. If Storm were smaller, I probably would have done something similar to what you do. smile
[notify]
Bessie

Adopt a dog - save a life

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '06 6:38am PST 
That would be a lot of ziplock bags for us! We buy 30lb bags when we get her food, so I got a bin to keep the food fresh - It takes her a couple of months to finish a bag. I got the bin at target and it was pretty cheap, maybe $15 and smaller bins were cheaper and quite compact.
[notify]
Brody

The best things- come in little- packages

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '06 6:44am PST 
We put ours in a canister. BUT, it is recommended to keep the bag that you have stored in case there is a recall or you need the # on the bag for any reason. So you can either put the bag right in the bucket if its big enough or just keep the empty bag.
[notify]
Hershey

In your face,- and not going- anywhere!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '06 9:24am PST 
We keep Hershey's in an airtight tupperware container - seems to work well. We also keep a little cup sized container to scoop it out to give her the right portion sizes.
[notify]
Rosie- Moondog

I Love My- Shellies

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '06 9:28pm PST 
We used to have an airtight plastic container until I chewed the lid open. Then we got this bucket called the Vittles Vault at the Pet Supermarket. They're not kidding. It's a plastic bucket with a thick screw on lid with a rubber gasket. We got the 10lb size. We don't buy big giant bags of food so it doesn't go bad. The food stays fresh, it keeps out moisture and bugs, and I can't chew the lid open--though I did try when we first got it. We looked at a bunch of different things. This was the most practical and effective for us. Whatever you use I would make sure it's airtight. Your food will definately last longer.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2