GO!

What is good dog proof furniture?

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

Bianca Bean

Captain of the- Bullie Brigade

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '07 8:05am PST 
I am about to purchase a new living room set, but I am wondering what are the best fabrics to buy for a home w/ a dog? Anyone know?thinking
[notify]
Suede

Oh please....not- another photo...

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '07 8:56am PST 
Hi Bianca,

I'm an interior designer ( as well as the dog couture stuff) and what I would do if I were you, is to check what the fabrics' durablity is, by its "rubs". This is standardized and any fabric should come with this infomation, or it is easy to have them find out for you. Right now I'm using for a client a fabric with 100,000 rubs (which is amazing durability, our upholsterer said it would never wear out)....sometimes it will say steel mesh rubs, meaning going back and forth over the fabric that many times before it wears...with steel mesh.

30,000 rubs is good and should be considered dogworthy. I myself would stay away from leather in that, again, depending upon it's quality, it can mar and scratch so easily. And, if there were an "accident", the odor will never come out. But it depends upon the dog as well. Good quality leather is durable....it's just that the finish may not be.

For myself, when I have new sofas made, I will also get new dog beds, and begin training them that the sofa is off limits, but when I leave the house, I will certainly cover the sofas with a beautiful throw, just to be on the safe side.

Best of luck!

Edited by moderator Thu Jul 12, '07 9:16am PST

Edited by forums moderator