GO!

Grumpy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
PJ

Getting wet and- dirty is fun

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 5:52pm PST 
PJ is almost three and we have had him since eight weeks old. He went to puppy school and other training and goes to dog parks and daycare. Lately he seems to be grumpy with dogs and he does not like puppies. He gives a warning growl but the dogs don't take the warning and then PJ ends up snapping. What happened...he was so perfect with other dogs and now he only likes certain dogs. We live in a townhouse and all his dog buddies moved out...could this be linked to our problem? Now we really try to limit his time with other dogs as we fear maybe he just doesn't want to be with them like he used to.
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 1:06pm PST 
you changed your attitude somehow...

my bros springer did that too...cause he started getting worried about him being a butt at the park...once he stopped worrying, waylon stopped
[notify]
Riley Star CGC

I'm A Little- Thief

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '08 8:56pm PST 
Riley can be like that. I think its in the genes. Deweys isnt such a great breeder, and Riley didnt come from a good one either. Probably has something to do with that.

Make sure you are feeling ok at the end of the leash as well. Dont tense up, send positive thoughts to PJ, imagine him playing well with the dog, or sniffing and walking away. See how it works.
[notify]

PJ

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 9:12am PST 
Well to be nice it has nothing to do with his breeder. Aggression can be in the genes OR it can also be a learned behavior due to the environment. We have hired a behaviorist and this is fear aggression he has due to some instances where he was attacked by other dogs. I got PJ at nine weeks and he has gone through many training programs and is a very well socialized dog. He still loves dogs...just not the high strong, wild, out of control dog.
[notify]
Arko

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 5:38pm PST 
not many dogs do like those other types...they want to put them in line is all...
[notify]
PJ

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 3:16am PST 
Our trainer said dogs just usually reach an age (usually after the age of 18 months) they just no longer want to play with a ton of dogs.
[notify]
Arko

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 1:24pm PST 
i dont really agree with that...i;d say some dogs might do that after a certain age, but that dogs "usually" do...all mine have LOVEd the park at all ages...some dogs just dont like the puppy antics that alot of dogs have when playing and they want to correct them
[notify]
McGee

this is- mine,,HEY that- is MINE

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 2:25pm PST 
At that age,,it's all about the "alfa' male,,who is 'top dog'. especially if he has had a run in with others and he is scared. The other consideration you have as an owner would be to castrate him and this would subdue the problem. Unless you have want him to sire/stud there would be no other reason to keep him intact. This could prevent prostrate cancer as well as other health matters as well!way to go
[notify]
PJ

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 4:19am PST 
PJ has been fixed since the age of 5 months. I totally think every dog should be fixed and it should be a requirement for all dog owners.

I think he does like to be top dog but here is the other thing...he is so smart he plays off of that. We really have to keep his mind stimulated and I think that could have been part of the problem. We are taking several different classes to keep his mind going. PJ is already doing better on leash...it just will require training and practice with all of us. We want nothing but the best and will do whatever it takes. I have read many books suggested by other owners going through this same thing. Anyway it is very interesting to see PJ starting to really learn how to use calming signals to help him. Yesterday he went to doggie daycare with me...I work there so it really allows me to see what is going on. PJ did awesome and had no issues with the group of dogs I had him with. Of course I didn't have him with the wild dogs so I set him up for a very positive environment. PJ was breathing through his mouth, tale wagging, playing and running around with the other dogs and even felt comfortable enough to sleep in the yard...at the end of the day he didn't want to go home. The good part is I'm feeliing good about how things are going and with the trainer I'm sure things can only get better.
[notify]
Arko

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 6:43pm PST 
being fixed has NOTHING to do with it
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2