GO!

Addison's Disease

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Cana

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 8:15am PST 
Our 4 yr old English Setter, Might have addison's Disease. She had a addisonian episode saturday morning and almost died. Her gums were pure white, and was unresponsive! She had Diareha and vomiting that day. They put her on a IV drip and a machine to raise her blood pressure. She had extremly low blood pressure, low sodium and high potassium levels.

We will find out tomorrow if she has it for sure. She is on 2.5 mg of Predisone. And if she has Addison's, she will be on it the rest of her life.

Has anyone else with see have Addisons? Is it typical for this breed?
[notify]
Emma

Barked: Mon Aug 31, '09 7:40pm PST 
Just wanted to check in and see how Cana is doing. My lab Emma was just diagnosed with Addison's. We have been learning a lot from www.addisondogs.com and the Addison's Dogs Group http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/AddisonDogs_/. The people in this group are extremely knowledgable about Addison's, even more so than my vet. Hope you and Cana are well. Take care!

Andi & Emma
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 8:56am PST 
It isn't typical for the breed, no. But Addison's shows up more in purebred dogs than mixed breeds because it is inheritable. Beardies and Portugeuse Water dogs especially.

I recommend the book Addison's Disease in Dogs by Stephanie Kenrose (I got it on Amazon)--I've heard nothing but good things about it. She lists all of the affected breeds in it too.

I'm so sorry your dog has this...I wish you well.
[notify]