GO!

All Setters

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bailey

A Wanna-Be bird- catcher Princess

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 5:40pm PST 
dog Are setters always pointing for game?
[notify]
SAINT- SEBASTION

English- Setter:Lord of- the Dogs

Barked: Sat Apr 7, '07 5:32pm PST 
My Sebastion points at butterfliescloud 9dog
[notify]
Bo

Anytime you- can...run, run,- run!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '07 5:00pm PST 
Bo will point a bit at strange smells, I will catch him pointing at what seems to be nothing at times.
I'm sure there is something there but I can never see what it issmile
[notify]

SAINT- SEBASTION

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '07 6:53pm PST 
Bo is gorgeous! so cute. Sebastion does the same thing, he stares straight up and snorts if he smells anything.
Sebastion points at the wall, the closet door, frogs, butterflies, and sadly dogs that are NOT English Setters!thinking

I think Bo is adorablecheer

Bailey is preciouscloud 9

Edited by author Sun Apr 8, '07 6:54pm PST

[notify]
Bo

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 4:30am PST 
Thank you.
Sebastion is adorable too!
I don't know if Bo has ever met another Setter execpt for his litter mates as a puppy.
I got him from the shelter, I saw a picture of his brother and he looked like a Gordon Setter, he was adopted before Bo.
[notify]
SAINT- SEBASTION

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 6:38pm PST 
Thank you! Sebastion is flattered. cloud 9 I think Bo has the sweetest face!

Sebastion only accepts Setters, and Welsh Corgis. I have tried introducing him to other puppies and he is very rudered face. Sometimes I think he has no clue he is a dog too!!!! It may be he prefers British breeds because he is British, halaugh out loud. He is a very snooty boy.
My mom got Sebastion for me from a breeder, but I am seriously considering adopting a n English setter to keep him company.

Bo has a great human, I wish you guys the best.

Do you ever notice Bo having odd behaviors? Sebastion loves coffee! and grapes, and bananas...and he is terrified of paper plates and cups!

Edited by author Tue Apr 10, '07 6:44pm PST

[notify]
SAINT- SEBASTION

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '07 6:57pm PST 
I left 2 bones for Bo, 1 from Sebastion & 1 from Mesmile
[notify]
Bo

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 4:54am PST 
Thanks Sebastion!
Bo has one strange habit, he is terrified of rain. If it's raining he will not go outside, the closest he gets is the covered deck and that is where he potties (when it's raining)
It's kind of funny sometimes because he will stand there and look out at the yard like there is hot lava out theresmile
Oh, he is a counter surfer too! He will sneak his big paws up to the counter or stove (we have to watch him so he doesn't get burned) and steal anything he can get his teeth on, he once ate almost a whole bowl of mac and cheese!
He is not a very obedient dog, we have been through puppy obedience and adult but the only thing he seems to listen to is a squirt bottle of water. I hate to do it to him but given his "fear" of water it is the only thing that works, now we can just show him the bottle and he stops whatever he is doing.
Oh and he can't stand for another dog to have a toy, he will stand there and bark until they give it to him.
I foster small dogs so he is really great with all dogs but I tried to bring two cats in once and one ended up in his mouth!! Luckily he did not hurt it, needless to say, the kitties got new (safe) homes.
There is a great English Setter Rescue called ACES, I'm sure you could find one there.
Sorry for the long post, I get started talking about my babies and can't stop.
[notify]
SAINT- SEBASTION

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 3:54pm PST 
Bo, so sweet! I totally understand what you go through. Setters are not like any breed, they are insane! When I raised Sebastion I had nothing to compare him to.
It is so weird, we made mac & cheese today for lunch and Sebastion took a bite when I wasn't looking! and you had just written about Bo and the macaroni!
I wish they could meet, I know our boys would love each other. I live right above Knoxville,TN till we move back home (Seattle,WA).
Sebastion used to pick frogs up in his floppy muzzle and carry them around for hours in our backyard, he loves frogs. He is precious, he adores small animals but people and other dogs are iffy (I never know what he will do in any given situation, very unpredictable!).
He has seizures during thunder storms and is terrified of thunder & lightening. Sebastion was struck by lightening and survived, so maybe he is having flashbacks, what do you think?
Sebastion is better behaved now that he is older , I'm sure Bo will calm down just like my boy. Sebation was a holy terror when he was 2, he is 10 this year. He still will not walk on a leash like a normal dog. How is Bo on the leash?
I love chatting with you, Bo & you are just great! I love your long post, you are the only person I've chatted with that understands what I go through with my English Setter. I love hearing about Bo's antics, I hope Sebastion amuses you too! It is great meeting fellow setter lovers.
dog
cheercloud 9
Can't wait to read your next post
Ashleypuppy
[notify]
Bo

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '07 6:00pm PST 
Oh my, he was hit by lightning! Poor baby, I bet it did do something to him.
Bo does fine with storms, he just doesn't want to get wetsmile
My other dog Tippy freaks out during storms though. She was never like that until my Cleo passed away. Cleo was terrified of them and Tip was the brave one but when Cleo passed Tippy took over her personality all together.

So you live close to Knoxville?
You are right, Setters are not like ANY other breed! I didn't think we were going to make it through Bo's puppyhood. Of course I wouldn't trade it for anything but boy it was tough.
Leash HAH! No Bo does not walk very well on a leash, even going through two classes he had to use a gentle leader and that is the only I way I can half way handle him.
He has his own way of doing things, if he doesn't want to do something he is NOT going to do it. But I love him anywaysmile
It is nice to talk to you and hear other setter stories.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2