GO!

transport question

This is a special place for Dogsters to help Dogsters arrange for community transport of rescues or dogs being re-homed. Even though we love our community, please remember this is the Internet. Be sure not to post personal information publicly or share it prematurely; always use your best judgment when working with people unknown to you. Thanks for helping our furry friends get to their furever homes!

Kody

Barked: Sat Dec 30, '06 7:55pm PST 
can educate me on this
i am thinking of adopting a dalmatian puppy from TX and i am from NJ.

1) how do i know if they allow transports..is this a universal thing that all shelter allow? or do i simply ask?

2)who arranges the transports? me the adopter or the shelter?

if i decide to adopt this dog i will needs tone of help! again i am still thinking this adoption over,,
[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Sat Dec 30, '06 8:12pm PST 
Some transport, some don't... you probably need to ask. Usually the transport is arranged between both parties but you should be the contact person and coordinator for it. There are several ways to transport as well, plane, car, truck driver, etc.

Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions.
Kody

Barked: Sat Dec 30, '06 8:26pm PST 
o ok.
i will ask them when i call tommor if they are open (sunday)
thanks bunches!
[notify]

Wexford

Barked: Sat Dec 30, '06 9:45pm PST 
Good Luck Kody. Keep us posted.
[notify]
Coco Bean

Tough Bean to- crack...

Barked: Sun Dec 31, '06 10:23am PST 
Both me and my sister Chloe are from two different rescues which would not "transport" us. Please ask ahead of time, the drive from TX is really long and plane transport can get expensive and it can be quite stressful for any animal, especially one in a shelter or rescue situation, we can be quite frightened. If your contact at rescue can help get your buddy on a doggie transport you will also want to make sure each leg is settled and arranged ahead of time. Good luck!
[notify]
Jake

Big Lunk of a- Boy

Barked: Wed Jan 3, '07 9:15am PST 
I personally have transported several aniamls both dogs and cats by plane and by ground transport. For a transport of that kind of distance I would recommend going with Northwest VIP services.

It is a counter to counter service as opposed to a cargo transport.

None of the animals have ever had any kind of ill affects due to the flight.

You will need to have an interstate health certificate not more then 10 days old, an airline approved crate with two bowls, there will also need to be some kind of absorbant material such as newspaper or blanket.

The cost is usually somewhere in the range of $250.

Good luck!!!
[notify]