GO!

Update on Parrot's Case [Dog shot by police @ DC festival]

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 3:41pm PST 
[Article about the incident for recap]

Remembering Parrot

By bgrady | Published: September 16, 2010

UPDATE 12/22/2010

We have just heard from the DC office of police complaints and they have concluded their investigation. They have determined that Officer Fike was not justified in shooting Parrot, and have referred the case to the US Attorney’s office. We are very encouraged that the wheels of justice are slowly churning in the right direction.

—————————————————-

We wanted to update you all on where we are with the investigations into Parrot’s death.

We are aware of two ongoing law enforcement investigations — one by the Internal Affairs/Force Investigations Branch within the Metropolitan Police Department and another by the Washington Humane Society. Either organization can recommend to the U.S. Attorney’s Office that Officer Fike face criminal charges for his actions. Lucky Dog has also been independently gathering eyewitness accounts and other information related to the shooting, and is sharing that information with Internal Affairs and Humane Society investigators. We encourage witnesses to the incident to cooperate fully with these investigations.

According to a report in the Washington Blade, Officer Fike was recently placed on Administrative Leave, which we believe shows that the Police Department recognizes the gravity of Officer Fike’s violent and reckless conduct. In the event that the Police Department does not impose appropriate discipline internally, we are preparing a formal complaint to be filed with the independent Office of Police Complaints that demands such disciplinary action be taken. We are also examining other legal options.

As the case progresses, we will be sure to keep you informed of our efforts to ensure that there is justice for Parrot. Please accept our thanks for your amazing generosity and support in the wake of this tragedy.

We greatly appreciate all of the support and well-wishes from the community and will continue to work to provide safe homes for dogs in Parrot’s memory. If you would like to help Lucky Dog in this effort, please consider donating to Parrot’s Fund, which we have created in loving memory of this fantastic dog. Donations to Parrot’s fund will be used both to rescue “bully breeds” living in high kill shelters and to educate our community on the many wonderful attributes of these dogs.

****UPDATE******

Lucky Dog Files Official Police Complaint, for details:

http://www.luckydoganimalrescue.org/lucky-dog-animal-res cue-files-an-official-police-complaint-regarding-parrots-death

** **UPDATE*****
Check out Parrot’s Pals – some wonderful dogs that were saved using your generous donations to Parrot’s Fund!

****UPDATE*****

We’ve set up a blog where people can read about and share their memories of Parrot. http://inmemoryofparrot.blogspot.com/

If you would like to share your feelings about this incident with the DC Police, please email:
Chief Cathy Lanier (cathy.lanier@dc.gov)
Assistant Chief Patrick Burke (Patrick.Burke@dc.gov)
Internal Affairs Captain Mario Patrizio (Mario.Patrizio@dc.gov)

File a complaint: http://policecomplaints.dc.gov/occr/site/default.asp

Consider signing the Petition for Justice for Parrot:
http://www.change.org/petitions/view/demand_justice_for_dog _shot_at_dc_festival
[notify]
Jackson - 3/11/02 - 7/28/13

Just hold me!

Barked: Sat Dec 25, '10 4:30pm PST 
Nicky,

Thank you so much for posting this update! I was in tears and sick to my stomach when I read about Parrot's tragic death. Maybe now his beautiful voice will be heard and he can get some well-deserved justice.

R.I.P. little Parrot, you will not be forgotten little angel
[notify]
Lucky, NTD

Novice trick- dog!

Barked: Tue Dec 28, '10 1:43pm PST 
I'm glad to hear Parrot is getting justice. I was looking at him on Petfinder.com the day before he was shot. cry

God bless you Parrot. You live on forever in our hearts. little angel
[notify]