GO!

Flying from Phoenix to Seattle

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sophie

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 3:46pm PST 
I am planning to fly down to Phoenix, AZ later this month or next month to take back my first love, Sophie, a 9-year-old Shih Tzu, who has been generously looked after my dad ever since I went to university in Seattle (5 years ago). We already have a new dog in our home now, Eevee, but I constantly plagued with feelings of guilt whenever I think about Sophie. My dad has kindly cared for her since my family separated, especially in light of a severe lack of financial and personal resources, but I know that she would be far better in our care. She is almost never walked, has reoccurring ear infections, has not had any vet visits or vaccinations for 5+ years, has impacted anal glands, and the last time I saw her last Christmas, I wanted to cry at how much she had aged since I saw her last. I could go on forever; I've even had nightmares! I love my dad and am thankful for his care, but I can't sit here knowing she needs attention and ultimately deserves better-- I know it would be a relief to my dad for me to take her off his hands either way.

Sophie's last and only experience on the plane was a complete disaster: she went cargo and my dad reported extracting her shaken and caked in her own poop and urine when she arrived. I'm adamant that she travels in the cabin with me and make her flight as least stressful as possible (nonstop obviously). She experiences moderate to severe anxiety/sickness in the car unless if I command her into sit/down, but hopefully it won't get triggered too badly aside from the takeoff/landing. My plan is to have the whole weekend when we get back for her transition into her new home and sister.

Would anyone have tips/advice on flying cabin? Considering that she doesn't have current vaccinations, will that prohibit her from flying? I am planning to visit a vet in Phoenix to get this done, if it cannot wait till I get to my preferred clinic in Seattle.

Your advice and insight is greatly appreciated, thank you!
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 9:13pm PST 
The airline you are flying on will have the info you need on their website.

Rules and restrictions vary by airline.
[notify]
Jilly

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 9:14pm PST 
I fly with Jilly all the time, NJ to AZ. We use Southwest and no vet records are necessary. She'll have to have a carrier that will fit under the seat in front of you. If you don't have one, like a Sherpa Bag, look on Craigslist. You can maybe find a very nice one for cheap. Make sure it's big enough. It's soft so you can squash it a little to fit under the seat. Take a throw blanket with you and you might be able to sneak her onto your lap and cover her up. You are not supposed to do it, but I have. Good luck to little Sophie!
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 9:53pm PST 
Several things.

1. Schedule her ASAP. There is limited space available for carry-on pets.
2. Pay attention to the airline's weight limit and carrier rules. They can weigh the dog in the carrier at check-in or cancel her travel if she appears to be stuffed into the carrier or appears tranqualized.
3. If you opt to give her something to take the edge off, do a dry run well before the trip to ensure it doesn't have the opposite effect. Always discuss this with a vet first. Note, this is a huge NONO if the animal is flying as checked baggage or cargo.
4, You won't be allowed to hold the bag in your lap once or take her out of the carrier during the flight. You won't be allowed in bulkhead seating or the emergency exit rows.
5. Use your common sense. Since she's not UTD, don't allow others to mess with her or touch her. We live in such a sue happy society that it could be a death sentence should she have an unfortunate run in.

You will have to pull her out of her carrier to go through the metal detector/security at the airport. Make darn sure she doesn't have any metal on her (IE use a slip lead with no metal) and make sure you won't set off the metal detector either. The carrier will have to go through the x-ray machine.

Legally, the airline can ask for proof of rabies, but most don't for carry-on pets.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 10:52am PST 
Jilly: " Take a throw blanket with you and you might be able to sneak her onto your lap and cover her up. You are not supposed to do it, but I have. "
I find this statement & action quite upsetting on several levels.
First you break the rules, then you brag about it, then you encourage others to also do this.
This is a peeve I have with small dog owners. Would I be able to throw a blanket on my lap & have my GSD hide underneath? Ludicrous? Absolutely! But the point is, many (not ALL!) small dog owners break laws because "he's so small..what's the harm?" As I was securing my 2 dogs outside the post office, a man walked right in with a mini poodle type dog. So I waited until he'd left & walked in with both of mine..in a tight heel. Of course, the guy said "no dogs!" I calmly said "That's what I thought, but you let that other guy in with his dog, so I assumed the law had changed" wink He had no choice but to serve me & agreed that is was not right to let in the other dog. I thanked him & said I would tether mine, like I always did before.
Another gripe I have is the effect this act could have on Service Dog teams. They face some incredible access challenges as it is, & behaviour like you suggest could make it even tougher.
To the OP..Scooter gave you some excellent tips.
[notify]
Jilly

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 1:57pm PST 
Squ'mey's owner, this forum is not here for disgruntled pet owners, with chips on their shoulders, to make unsolicited comments.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 7:17pm PST 
Not going to argue with you, except to say..public fora ARE the place to discuss and offer opinions. And if someone tells people to break the law, then I will absolutely comment on it. I am not in a "snit," just stating the obvious. Telling someone to break the law makes it tougher on those who do follow them. Just because I'm not endorsing your shenanigans does not make me anything except someone who follows the law.
To quote Fez from "That 70s Show"...."Good day to you, sir. I said, good day!!" laugh out loud
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 12:03pm PST 
Better hope Jilly doesn't get spooked while shes in your lap and then jumps out of it and you have a loose dog on the plane or decides she needs to use the potty.

The carrier is there for a reason, its to protect her, yourself, and the other passengers. When you take her out of the carrier you're sending all of her dander into the air and someone nearby can be allergic, and you'd have a fun time in court. Not to mention if you hit a turbulence and she goes flying. If dogs were meant to be loose on planes then they would be. wink
[notify]
Jilly

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 12:34pm PST 
OMG You guys need to get a life. It is NOT illegal to take your dog out of the carrier. It IS against the airlines rules. And, I ALWAYS ask the folks around me, before I even take a seat, if they are allergic because I have a dog in my tote. Do you just search for people to pick on? I've seen this before, on this forum, and highly resent these bullying comments.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 8:33pm PST 
Jilly, no one has bullied you; they have just pointed out that you are, in fact breaking the law and encouraging others to do so as well. it actually is against federal law as mandated by the Department of Transportation and the Federal Aviation Administration to remove your pet from the carrier. The airline can kick you off the flight and ban you from traveling with your dog.

That sort of bad advice could result in a death sentence for a pup like the OP currently is moving (non-current vaccinations on an older dog) and your behavior only acts as another nail in the coffin for airlines allowing carry-on pets.

Squ'mey was spot on about that type of behavior causing issues for SDs. Scooter and I fly frequently and at least once every trip a dog gets loose, tries jumping from a carrier, or comes at us aggressively.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2