GO!

Pet Friendly 4x4 cars or trucks?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 10:32am PST 
since i'm moving to literally a place that has all four seasons aka an actual winter that includes snow and tempertures below 40 degrees F and summers were it's hot and humid and rain and thunderstorms.

I'd like to know what types of cars work best there but also make it easy for my dogs to travel with me. I was pushed away from open bed trucks since i don't want to transport sweetie and jake in the bed of said truck in kennels if it's cold. And their kennels i don't think will fit in a small truck cabin.

Any ideas? Since i now have to sell my cute little compact to make way for an all weather car to get ready for the snow at my new school big grin
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 1:30pm PST 
A compact SUV like a 4 runner or a trailblazer would work very well. If you want to go full-size or be able to literally drive in anything, a 1987-1991 k5 blazer (what I drive) would be a good choice. You can go anywhere any time and the back seat folds back to make plenty of room for dogs. All are fairly cheap and the blazer has especially cheap and plentiful parts. Only issue with the blazer is that while it gets relatively good mpg it is still an old truck laugh out loud
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 2:52pm PST 
4runners are great. They last a long time. I have a late model. Mine has a tailgate instead of a hatch back. The new ones have seats that completely fold down and the back windows roll down. They discontinued the awesome tail gate after the 2nd gen.

I live in a winter climate. I will tell you that trucks and SUVs are not actually the most stable on icy roads. The 4runner has been made more road friendly since my early 90's runner. The one I have is top heavy and even has a disclaimer posted on the visor for roll overs. The higher the clearance the less stable on streets. Most regular cars are safer than my 4Bie on streets. The plus of driving a truck/suv is the high clearance which is very useful if you don't have a plow service or need to get on the road before they plow. I also have a huge advantage in serious dumping accumulating storms.

When I see a car in a ditch or off the road it's normally an SUV or all wheel drive like a Subaru. You can have small cars in snowy climates. Someone around here drives a smart car. The most popular cars here are Subarus. They are reliable all wheel drive cars.

You might want to go with an all wheel drive like a Subaru. Honda CRVs and Toyota Rav 4s are good options too. These are smaller, better gas milage and more stable on roads. They are safer.

The Toyota FJ cruiser, now that's an SUV. So many SUVs are just big dump mini vans, but the FJ cruiser can actually go off road.
[notify]

Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

I'm a Queen who- works like a- pesant

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 10:38pm PST 
My mom and dad have a 1997 Mitsubishi Montero that has two seats in the very back that fold up out of the way. Two big crates will not fit in it even with those seats taken out because the space is only 48 inches wide. But its got all sorts of goodies and is made for off road. Mom says she loves it when she has to go visit a friend who lives on a rough road. She just pushes the button between the front seats and adjusts the suspension. The only bad thing is parts have to come from a dealer here because where we live there arent many in the junk yards.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 9:20am PST 
I currently have a 4Runner and it's awesome. It's 15 yrs old but it runs gorgeously still and it carries a giant dog comfortably. Although not so comfortable for the driver, i.e. me, when the fur is flying and the slobber covers every square inch of window space and dash space. Ick.
I'm sure you can find a reasonably priced used one.

There's also the smaller Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4 too. And then there's always the Subaru Outback or Forester.
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 5:30pm PST 
For multiple dogs...Honda Element. I love mine! Easy to clean and has a very versatile interior...the back seats can both come out...or you can leave one in...or flip both up...or only flip one up. When the back seats are used for people...they are like stadium seating, in that they sit a little higher than the front seats so passengers can see out the front window.

I love it's versatility...and we have some pretty harsh winters here.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 12:42am PST 
They don't make them anymore but I adore my Dodge Caliber. The back seats fold down and Shadows small crate fits just fine. I bring home Christmas trees in it, moved a 55 inch flat screen in it and picked up the rear end for an 83 Trans Am with it. It goes through snow no problem and has a nice stable feel on the road. All three dogs fit easily and with 4 doors plus the hatch access is easy. Since it's just a small car I still get great fuel economy, but it's the biggest of the small cars so I get space to. If I ever decide to get rid of it, it would be for a Dodge Journey which is basically just a slightly bigger version. No need to have a 4 wheel drive in the snow, just drive like a human.laugh out loud
[notify]
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 8:26am PST 
I had always wanted a Dodge Caliber...I recently purchased a Toyota Matrix. It has plastic in the hatchback and on the backs of the seats so once the seats are folded down (they are perfectly flat smile ) they are easy to clean.
I was looking at the Mazda 5 mini van and I had looked at the Element, but since my partner has a pick up truck, we went with a smaller car since we already have the truck smile

PS
I have heard that the Hyundai Tucson and Santa Fe are becoming better vehicles smile My father had one when he lived in Chile and now he is back in Ontario, Canada and him and his girlfriend have them.

Good luck making a decision!
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 4:56pm PST 
Oh do i envy you Honda Element owners. I want one soo bad!! Currently i have a Pontiac G6 and its really not that dog friendly. The back door panels are plastic and have scratches on them. Drool piles up on the windows too! Once i pay that sucker off a SUV is what I am getting!! cheer
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 5:44pm PST 
I have a 2006 Saturn VUE 5 speed front wheel drive. They don't make them anymore, but it has lots of room for my 2 big dogs with room to spare. It gets great gas mileage and I've never gotten stuck in the snow(knock on wood). I live in New England. I see them for sale every now and then. The newer models are smaller and get less gas mileage. I wouldn't get one of them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2