GO!

Dog-sitter or Kennel?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 11:58am PST 
I don't feel so bad about boarding our dogs because we can board them together in a larger run, and at least they have each other. I still hate it, but since Ace figured out how to get out of her crate, and Kale hasn't been crated since my daughter got him, a dogsitter wouldn't really work for them. Ace would be anxious and whiny and make a lot of noise if she was left alone crated for hours on end during the day. Kale is a good mellow boy, but Ace would probably tear the house up if we were gone for a few days and she only had occasional visits from a sitter.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 1:07pm PST 
But I did look into DogVacay.com, and it looks pretty cool. I'd be more comfortable using someone where I live, where I can do a meet and greet first. Though for on the road when I have to be away from hotel without the dog, using as doggy day care could be good too. Thanks for the tip, Tuck.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 7:07am PST 
I have done both a dog sitter and a boarding kennel for my dogs. I did have outside runs at my house, so the sitter worked out okay. I feel they both enjoyed the boarding kennel the best as there was lots of activity and they were able to be in the same run together and not locked up separately. I certainly check out the boarding kennels on reviews and physically check them out for myself. I think the extra cost of boarding kennel is well worth the ease of mind for myself that they get to run around and are being looked after 24 hrs a day. Look for something where they have access to both an inside and outside run.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 6:51pm PST 
I prefer going with a sitter whom we know because if we leave our dogs to just anyone, it doesn't make us feel comfortable during the whole trip. I think it would really boil down to which of these two options would make you feel comfortable leaving your dog with.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 6:38am PST 
My dog always goes to stay with some friends. They have a few dogs themselves and lots of outdoor space so he always has a great time and comes back like a child after a sleepover - tired from staying up all night with his mates! ;-) I always prefer taking him to a friends house over any other option as I know he will be well looked after, not locked up for ages and not alone.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 2:00pm PST 
We seldom go away overnight, but last year we went for a weekend. I researched a doggy daycare/kennel nearby and just one walk in and I knew Sophie would have a breakdown in that place. It looked like that maybe for way laid-back dogs who enjoy other dogs and people...and can ignore the noise-barking, doors closing, fans overhead...it might be fine. It was clean, each dog had their own room and there were communal play areas in between.

Sophie is afraid of noise, leery of strangers, afraid of noise, and leery of other dogs, plus her own room?, she flips out being alone and confined. Fortunately a friend was happy to take her over the weekend, he and his dogs are quiet and she knows them and they all slept together.

I would find someone to stay in your house the whole time or someone to bring them to theirs.
[notify]
Casey

OMG look Mom!- Another dog!

Barked: Tue Jun 4, '13 1:46pm PST 
Sounds like in your situation, your dogs would be better with a sitter. We take our dog to a kennel, but she doesn't have separation anxiety and loves being around other dogs. When I toured the facility, I knew it would be a perfect opportunity for her to socialize. However, I could see how an anxious dog would be uneasy there. There was a lot of noise in the kennels, and some dogs just don't like extra attention from strange dogs and people. If you can't find a sitter, some kennels provide small, private "luxury" rooms that are completely enclosed with an actual door to eliminate noise.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2