GO!

Taking your dog on the plane with you

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 12:53pm PST 
Unfortunately Pet Airways is no longer an option since they stopped flying due to financial issues.
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 1:23pm PST 
I know it sucks that they had to stop but that was the only airway i would use with my pets. I know that if any of my dogs, other than my golden, got out of the crate while being loaded or unloaded from the cargo area of a plane they would run to get away from the noise.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 1:33pm PST 
I've shipped lots of dogs as checked baggage and cargo as well as making a point of reading the airlines' animal incident reports. As long as the animal is healthy and you take a few precautions, animals can be safely transported in the hold. The big three are 1) the animal is acclimated to the crate 2) zip ties are used to reinforce the crate corners as well as to ensure the door cannot be opened if the animal freaks out 3) no sedation.

The heat embargo is due to temps on the tarmac being higher than in the shade. 85 is the heat cut off. 20 is the cold cut off with an acclimation letter from a vet; 40 or 45 without one. It's easier to ship dogs during the cold season with the acclimation letter. Some breeds (brachy) just can't be safely shipped if the temps are higher than 70/75.
[notify]

Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 4:57pm PST 
Even being well acclimated to the crate, it scares the $&(* out of me. My dog is not accustomed to being away from his family, having no control over his environment, possibly handled roughly or taunted and no idea what's going on. A dog who is full-on panicking is going to get loose or injure himself or someone else. And imagine the dog gets on the wrong flight or there's some delay in unloading cargo. And all this says nothing of the emotional trauma involved. For me, it's an absolute last resort.
[notify]
Ellie

Play ALL DAY

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 11:00pm PST 
I have a 22 lb frenchie we are wanting to take in cabin with us we've paid the money she a little over weight for the flight but she has a Sherpa large carrier she fits in laying down but not standing up. She seemed to like it at home. She likes small spaces. We figured we'd give it a go if it fails we'll eat the money and drive there (from key west to Houston shrug) I'm hoping they don't pay that close attention. Best advice I received was to have a back up plan.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 6:43pm PST 
We've traveled with our dog on a plane but she has never sat with us in the passenger's seat. We've always had to place her in the cargo, inside a crate, along with the other baggage and whatever the plane needs to transport. So far she hasn't had any problems. I think Peggy has gotten used to flights inside a crate. big grin
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2