GO!

Frustration with Traveling...

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 7:57pm PST 
My friends and I have been trying to plan a little roadtrip. I would, of course, want to take Angel. BUT I am finding this difficult due to Angel's breed. I have even checked sites like Dog-Friendly, but have had no luck.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 12:20am PST 
I don't know abou if they have any rules on breeds but holiday inn express allowed dogs for $10 pet deposit when we drove from Ks to Wa. They never even asked what breed we had at check in. Same went for la Quinta Inn and the Red Lion Inn. You could always try calling to make sure though a head of time.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 7:44am PST 
What kind of trip? If you don't need to stay in hotels, try camping? I've found a lot of sites that allow dogs. I stick with the privates, national and state parks are notoriously not dog-friendly, some don't allow them at all.
[notify]

Chloe

Honey Bear

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 6:42pm PST 
In my experience with dog-friendly hotels/motels, the person checking you in never asks to see the dog or any kind of breed verification. If the form you fill out asks for a breed (and they don't always), you could put down Lab Mix or something and no one would be the wiser. Even if a staff member does catch a glimpse of Angel, she really doesn't have the typical pitty look to her.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 9:19pm PST 
Where are you traveling from and to?
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 11:14pm PST 
Yeah I am looking at camping or some place with cabins (as I don't have a tent or anything) Even the private places I have found don't allow "any Pitbulls, Rottweilers, or Dobermans, or any mix of those." Angel's mom & dad were both Pits even though she looks more like a mix.

I keep thinking...How are these breeds ever going to get respect if people are still so close-minded?
[notify]
Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 6:16am PST 
When we moved across Canada with our two dogs I did a lot of internet searching for pet friendly motels. I usually reserved through the internet and stated that I had two medium sized well behaved dogs. I was never asked what breed they were but down in your area could be different. I certainly would say that your dog could be a lab mix if anyone inquired. Also, in any place (motel/hotel) you would have to have a crate and have the dogs in if you had to leave the room for any reason. Angel is so very cute! Good luck in your road trip.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 3:15am PST 
Thanks...I will keep checking things out.
[notify]
Capri

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 3:17pm PST 
Every La Quinta I have ever stayed in since owing a dog has allowed them with no questions asked. One of their hotels didn't even have us sign or pay anything. I found that the hotels that the rooms open to the outside are the best ones when you have a dog, that way if they bark the whole entire hotel won't hear them.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 9:55am PST 
For hotels we stayed at Red Roof Inn... good luck! Traveling with a pibble makes you realize how poorly educated people are of the breed. When they say do you have a dog? I would say yes and he wants to meet everyone. Turner would sit and wait patiently for a pat. Everyone was so amazed at how well behaved he was. When I picked Grunt up from the vet yesterday a new girl said oh he must be the dog with the thumping tail! laugh out loud Don't give up...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2