GO!

Moving to a different state- how does that affect your pooch?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 8:07am PST 
I am possibly going to be moving to the mountains in CA within the next few months...a HUGE change from living just north of Houston, TX. I was wondering...to those of you that have made major climate-change moves, how do your pets do? I will be taking 2 (possibly 3) canines with me- born and raised in flat, hot and humid TX.

What should I be concerned with moving to somewhere quite dry (in comparison) and a much higher altitude (about 6,000ft)?

I am not worried about snow/cold temperatures as they will love it...finally get to use that winter coat for something!
[notify]
z

I can't hear- you.

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 9:33am PST 
The pets normally do much better than the humans, that's for sure... big grin

I wouldn't worry.. we've moved all over the USA and the dogs never seemed to miss a beat..
[notify]
Tessa Fenris

I'll miss you,- too, Mama.

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 10:17am PST 
I went from Ohio to Michigan to New York with Tessa and she didn't actually notice, I don't think.

Good luck on your move! way to go
[notify]

Reagan

Reagan Fat Baby

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 6:24pm PST 
Thanks guys!!! smile
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 3:50pm PST 
We moved from around Beaumont, TX to NW PA. Turner adjusted well, he loved all of the new smells! I had Darcy flown up through Pilots-n-Paws. She doesn't mind the cold either. As a matter of fact she knows when you grab her sweatshirt that she's going out for a while. Even when it got really cold they did well. Being short-coated, I just put coats on. When it came to potty breaks in the sub-zero weather, well, they were quick! Actually the dogs seem to enjoy the cooler summers! way to go I actually had a harder time than they did. I got altitude sickness, dizziness for about a month. They were fine. way to go
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 1:51pm PST 
ooo, have fun up there! I've been to the CA mountains, they are awesome! I'm sure they will love it. way to go I have some friends who had this awesome mutt named Buzzard, and they traveled with him everywhere! I mean everywhere, they are Americans who teach English in Taiwan, and oh, they brought him with them to Egypt before too! For a dog, he was one cool cat! kitty lol
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 8:19am PST 
Having lived in Houston for a while, I realized that more pets have problems moving TO Houston than away from it. 90% of the pets that I saw with severe allergies that required steroids because NOTHING else would help were born somewhere other than Texas. Even my dogs had issues in Houston, but moving away has helped tremendously. That's just my experience smile

Otherwise, my dogs have lived in PA, SC, TX, and back to SC. Other than adjusting to TX, no real issues!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '12 8:33pm PST 
I am a southern dog, but when my person moved from the Mojave desert in Ca to the deep south she brought 3 dogs, 3 horses and a pig. The dogs did fine, loved everything, especially the mud. The young horse did fine, older horses had to get used to the climate, got hives a couple of times. The pig loved, loved, loved the move.
dog walk
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 9:12am PST 
Fritz, I have to ask, how does a pig show joy? big grin
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 8:03pm PST 
BOL, pigs are very smart. Ummm, it is hard to describe but she snorted and routed and almost seemed to be smiling. All of her bristles shed and came back in soft. Pigs do have expressions, the way they hold their ears, the look in their eyes...If you lived with a pet pig, you would understand. They can be as expressive as dogs or people.dog walk
[notify]