GO!

Car Harnesses

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 11:06am PST 
I'm going to be taking an 8 hour road trip to get my cat some medical treatment. I'll be taking my dog, Terra, with me as my husband doesn't like the idea of me being in a hotel room for a week on my own. Personally, I'm not going to complain about the company.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good Seatbelt/Harness? I was looking at the petstore, and, to me, it seems like the wider the chest section, the better since it'll displace the force of the impact on a larger surface area.

Am I correct in my thinking?
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 6:45pm PST 
I don't know which one is best. Jake uses a KONG harness with a seat belt loop. That one has worked well in our few near hit misses and suddenly stops. (Driving in the rain is not fun) eekeek

but i dont' know how much it matters the wideness of the chest. I just made sure the chest was mesh since like a seatbelt do for people it will probably do somem damage to jake just less then if he went flying into the windshield or something.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 6:56pm PST 
There are only a handful of dog seatbelt harnesses I know of that have been safety tested and/or strength rated. I'd definitely go with one of those. They include the Kurgo Tru-Fit, Bergan, PetBuckle, Roadie, Snoozer and CARE Champion Seatbelt.
[notify]

Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 9:32pm PST 
Awsome, Bianca! I'll take a look at those!
[notify]
Callie- (Calliope)

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 7:23am PST 
I wish more people would use doggy seat belts. I recommend the harness style with the loop for the seatbelt to go through vs the clip style which gives the dog too much room to roam. My dog sits in the back seat and despite a few quick short stops she has been just fine. Even when my laptop flew off the seat Callie barely moved. Have a safe trip!
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 9:40am PST 
We've got the Snoozer brand for the smaller dogs, and the PetBuckle for the larger dogs.

We also got the Kurgo Auto Zip-Line for use with my big pups. I attach it between the anchor points in the cargo area.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 12:07pm PST 
We have the Kurgo harnesses for the boys and they work well. If your dog has a really narrow chest it might fit kind of odd though.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 6:54pm PST 
Do you guys like the Kurgo harness and zip line? I was kinda interested in those but I don't know much about them.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 9:33pm PST 
I don't have the Kurgo harness but the zip line works with any harness that has a metal attachment loop, like the PetBuckle.

I like it! It prevents him from getting all tangled when he spins.
[notify]