GO!

do you have a car?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 12:14am PST 
Actually I more want to hear from people who DON'T have cars. I was thinking about this today, that it's HARD to own a large dog if you don't have a car. Dogs aren't allowed on mass transit unless they're in a carrier, and that's a little difficult with the over-20-pounders. In another thread, a dogster stated she picked a small breed because she was afraid her vehicle wouldn't last much longer, and needed a dog she could carry on the bus.

If I lived in a city where everything I (and my dog) needed was in walking distance, that could work too, but then what if the dog needs to get to the vet in a hurry?

While I have never owned my own car, I've had easy access to one when I need it- cars belonging to housemates, boyfriend, parents, etc. Right now I have an old junker that is technically my mother's, but I'm the only one who drives it since she has a better car now. Pretty good deal, but it won't last forever.

I remember back when I adopted Bruno in Tucson, I didn't have any car to use at all, and ended up getting a ride on Craigslist to get back to Oregon, but that was a one-time thing, not the usual way I roll.

So if you don't have a vehicle, do you have access to one for emergencies? Do you take your pooch on mass transit? Or just walk them everywhere?
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 5:30am PST 
Currently, I do own a car.
But I may be moving within the next few months and the car is possibly a luxury I will no longer be able to afford.

The city I would be moving to allows dogs on public transit permitting they are leashed and muzzled. While I don't particularly like the idea of needless muzzling, I'm sure they'd get used to it.

Also as far as I'm aware, the taxi companies will allow dogs in some of their cars, you just need to let them know in your call.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 9:45am PST 
I have a car now.. I learned to drive last year (way after I graduated college.. yep. lol). Before then I lived in the downtown portion of major cities, so not having car was actually more convenient than having one. We walked everywhere and if I really needed a car, I always had my boyfriend to chauffeur us.. smile

Then we moved to California silenced where you can't get anywhere if you don't have a car! Plus, we started becoming involved in dog sports, none of which are very local at all... so now I'm glad I have a car.
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 8:40pm PST 
I don't have a car but I do have access to one.
My vet is actually within walking distance if I want to go for a long walk (~4 miles away) but I've never walked there so far. She used to be a lot further until she opened her own hospital... My old vet is about half that far, I never walked there either but I did take the bus a few times with a cat in a carrier.
Actually the nearest emergency vet is slightly closer than my current vet, but of course walking would probably not be a choice in an emergency. The emergency vet where I take Bianca for blood donation is almost 5 miles away, into the city. I mention that one because Bianca gets free blood products for life there and we also get $25 credit every time she donates so I have some credit there. So if we had to go to the emergency vet but it was not a case where a few minutes could make a big difference we would probably go there instead...

There is also a vet just over a mile away from me but I've never been to that one.
[notify]