GO!

JoJo's First Plane Ride

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 8:57pm PST 
thanks Otto, it's a good lead. i'll look into it.
[notify]
JoJo

I'm pretty much- a human with- fur!

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 12:49am PST 
All service dogs are allowed in-cabin regardless of where the flight is going to or coming from. That's what I've been told when calling around to see which airline may let my yorkie fly in-cabin with me from the UK to the US...but I've had no luck. It looks like she'll have to ride as cargo frownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrown
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 12:17pm PST 
Service dogs are allowed to fly in-cabin and they have to be registered with something like ADI or one of the schools here.

In or out of the UK all other dogs and cats have to go in cargo regardless of size per DEFRA's rabies laws. That goes for around the UK as well

Dogs fly as cargo all the time Buster is going to be later this year when we move to England she'll be fine

Edited by author Sat Jan 7, '12 12:18pm PST

[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 11:02am PST 
Interesting info.

Slightly off topic, but i was speaking to a breeder from Poland about importing a puppy and she said no recognized flight would take the pup. I'd have to travel by car as that's the only recognized option. It's all much more confusing than i first thought.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 4:35pm PST 
That's not entirely true, Missy.

I know of people who've brought dogs from Poland to the UK. If I remember right, you can't bring the dog in-cabin or as checked but rather as cargo. You just have to go by one of the DEFRA approved routes (provided your puppy otherwise meets the quarantine regulations of shot requirements).

You can find the approved routes here, and I do see one from Poland: http://archive.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/documents /eu-air.pdf

Edited by author Thu Jan 12, '12 4:47pm PST

[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 10:02am PST 
Thnks Lilith. The breeder has never sent a pup to the UK before so i guess she's unaware of recognized routes, but she seemed adamant no known flight would be an option. She's said we can discuss our options, but the pup can't leave until about 4 months old because it needs it's rabies jab and she said that's slightly problematic for her. So, i had kind of ruled out importing a pup after our conversation, but i might email her the link you provided and see what she says.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 11:38am PST 
I believe in Poland it is not legal to administer the Rabies vaccine before 12 weeks. So at the earliest to pass the new 2012 DEFRA quarantine regs which is 21 days after administration of the Rabies vaccine, the pup would have to be about 16-17 weeks old, and after application and completion of an EU Pet Passport.

I think it's workable, if she could somehow transport the dog to Warsaw airport if she is not from around Warsaw. Best of luck!

Edited by author Fri Jan 13, '12 11:40am PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2