GO!

Backpacks

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Madison

Don't disturb me- I'm on fly- patrol!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 3:48pm PST 
So I want to get Madison a backpack for Christmas. Basically I decided that I really enjoy hiking and there is a state park about 20 mins from us that has lots of trails I'd like to try with her. I searched on dogster and read a few posts and people seem to recommend ruffwear backpacks. I'm looking at them and I'm thinking the approach pack will be the best. I just want to make sure this a good pack for hiking and walking through trails if I'm gonna drop 75 bucks on a backpack. I swear I spend more money on the dog than myself haha. Any other good alternatives I could check out maybe something a little cheaper haha. I plan on at least having her carry water. I can take her on walks with it empty for her to get used to it. for those of you who have I still clip her leash onto her collar right? All the pictures show the dogs off leash which being a state park I'm pretty sure they won't allow that. Thanks for your imput!
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 7:15pm PST 
I started with a cheaper one with Daisy. I didn't know if she'd like it, ect. She did ok but even with its padding it rubbed her raw sometimes.

Now she has the approach pack and I love it. I fits really well without having to tighten the straps down really tight like the cheaper pack. You do have to pick up and put one paw through it which I didn't have to do with her other one. But its worth it for the comfort.

You can clip a leash on the back pack but I prefer to use her collar.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 10:28pm PST 
I've been using the approach pack for 2 years now and it still looks new after multiple hikes and running through brush, crossing streams, etc.
I didnt even pay a full price for it, I found it online at geartrade.com for $37. You can also check ebay since people are always posting new items on there.
[notify]

Madison

Barked: Sun Dec 4, '11 8:45am PST 
Thanks for the tips guys! a ruffwear backpack it is! I'll check ebay and geartrade is a really neat site!
[notify]
Black

DeMamma and my- boy and me makes- a team

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 11:45am PST 
If you are mainly looking for her to just carry water take a look at Ruff Wear's single trax. It is very expensive but fit's very well. Not big and bulky. It fits comfortably snug against the body so less chance of snagging on bushes and such. I also like how since it is small it does not cover a lot of the body. It does not hold a lot though. It comes with to water containers.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 3:41pm PST 
We have the RuffWear Palisades pack and the upside to this one is that the saddlebags unclip from the harness.

I end up using the harness on its own more than I do the entire pack.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 9:57am PST 
That's what I do Rexy...2 for 1!

When we take breaks, I just unclip the pack from the harness rather than having to wrangle their limbs through the loops. Real quick.

Though, the only reason I got that pack was because I got a super awesome deal on it! Those things are so expensive, but I do love it!
[notify]
Madison

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 8:14pm PST 
I measured Madison's girth and got 27". The mediums are 26-30 somethin. Smalls are like 21" to 30 so I was thinking a small? That gives 3” to go up but lots of room down in case it slips around a lot which is what I'm worried if I got a medium. I just have a hard time wrapping my brain around a 45 lb dog wearing a small. She is slender perfect weight and leggy but I'm not sure. What do y'all think?
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Wed Dec 14, '11 6:57pm PST 
Hmm, not sure. Uno is 60 lbs and he wears a medium. I think small will be a better fit.
Un os pack
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 11:03am PST 
Shadow wears a small. He is around 35 pounds. I will say the approach pack is awesome though!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2