GO!

Most dog friendly places in America and Canada.

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '11 9:30pm PST 
Anything Southwest is very dog friendly. Colorado (unless you have one of those common BSL dogs) or CA most dog friendly generally, i think.

--des
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sat Sep 24, '11 7:07am PST 
Just talked to a guy who got back from Montana, and he just about killed my dream.laugh out loud

He said no dogs no matter what are allowed in the parks...I'm assuming he meant state and national. But either way, that sucks!
[notify]
Neeko

I listen...when- I want to

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 12:53pm PST 
St. George Island, Florida! The beach is dog friendly, and Harry A's, a restaurant with an interior, open air, bar/stage/patio, lets you walk your dogs through the dining area to the patio. I believe the other restaurants are dog friendly, as well. We vacationed there in June, it's small, not super crowded, and beautiful! We also took Neeko to Gatlinburg last fall, and it too seemed pretty dog friendly. There are only two trails in Great Smokey Mountains National Park that dogs are allowed on.
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 8:04pm PST 
Sanka that's true in every state- National Parks are notoriously dog-unfriendly (no dogs in campgrounds, no dogs outside vehicles even on leash, etc), and some state parks too. In Crater Lake National Park (Oregon) there was a case where some people came in not knowing that, had to leave their dog in the car while they took in the views, I guess forgot to set the parking brake, and the car rolled off a cliff down to the lake! Car was recovered, dog was okay, but good to know:

NEVER TAKE YOUR DOG TO A NATIONAL PARK!

Usually Forest Service, BLM, and Wilderness Area land is dog-friendly, which the West has lots of thanks goodness.
[notify]
Cricket

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 4:06pm PST 
I love Asheville, NC, but have not taken my dogs there yet. Mostly that's because we don't live too far from there and I have a reciprocal agreement with a friend for dogsitting. After reading this thread I really want to take them now!

I live in Raleigh, which is a fairly dog friendly town. Most restaurants downtown will let you bring your dog on the patio or sidewalk dining. We have some good walking trails that are pet friendly and a couple of good dog parks. I do not know if we have any kind of pet friendly lodging though (must look into that!).
[notify]
Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 7:27pm PST 
We love to go to Long Beach, Washington. It isn't very mountainous (still has some gorgeous hills) but it is one of the most beautiful places I have been. It is a small town but there is a lot of history to it. You can literally walk everywhere and the beaches are all dog friendly. We love spending time at Beards Hallow. Downtown is great! They have a lot of small businesses and there is actually a store that had a sign in the window that said "Pets Welcome, Children are not." During summer, they also have the Doggy Olympics, the Kite and Sand Castle festival, etc. I
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 1:43am PST 
I was recently in Niagara Falls (Canadian side) a few months ago. Clifton Hill (the tourist strip) is pretty dog-friendly, I walked Samson around there several times. Most of the shops are open to the street so if you want to stop and get some food for you or your dog, no problem. The area around the falls is dog-friendly too. I saw lots of people walking dogs in the area.

~

Don't do any business with the city of Denver (or nearby Aurora) - they are dog-killers. They are in open defiance of a federal mandate demanding they stand down at least from seizing and murdering pit bull service dogs (pet dogs, sadly, are still at the complete mercy of the city). There was a Holocaust survivor who compared the situation there for Pitbulls to Nazi Germany. It's pretty terrible. They are responsible for the warrantless seizure and destruction of over 1100 dogs (and likely more - the number I got this from was in an article published in 2009), and denial of due process to the owners of said dogs.

You cannot even safely drive through there without risking your dog's life. Take a 500 mile detour if that is what it takes, but don't do any business with them.

Sorry for the mini-rant/sermon but I figured since this was about travel and friendly places - it might also be prudent to say where, specifically, to avoid, given that Colorado seems to be a recommended place by several Dogsters.

Edited by author Sat Jan 28, '12 1:55am PST

[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 7:01pm PST 
We take Tanuk to Asheville every year for his birthday. It is pet friendly (and Uno lives there!), but not all the parks are. If you want to hike with her you'll have to stick to Nantahala Nat'l Park or Pisgah Nat'l Forest. The Smokies are not dog friendly, we could barely let Tanuk out for a tinkle there. You'll also probably have no problem finding a dog friendly hotel to stay in, we like using little cabins and B&Bs, but book early. We were going to stay at Barkwells once, but I wasn't sure how Tanuk would feel having roaming dogs all over the place, he tends to stress when there's tons of off leash dogs bombarding him. There are several cute pet bakeries and boutiques too.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 6:04pm PST 
Just wanted to chime in and let you know that dogs are allowed in most Canadian National Parks (on-leash of course).

Some provincial parks allow dogs (again, only on-leash), others do not (generally the remote wilderness parks). Both of the parks in my region that do not allow dogs (that I know of) are also a hike-in backcountry parks.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 10:44am PST 
[url=http://www.globalvisas.com/canada ]Canadian Visa[/url]
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4