GO!

Transporting dogs from New York to Munich, Germany. HELP!

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Phoebe

Oh the Feebs!

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 12:39am PST 
Hi! I have two pugs that are 4 and 3 years old. Phoebe & Monica. They are the loves of my life and I need some help, information, whatever, on how to get reunited with them.

My husband and I moved to Germany in January. We have a lot of family here. They have been staying with my dad in NY until we found an apartment, which we have finally done.

I am wondering if there is a way to get them to me before September. My dad is coming and visiting them, and they can obviously ride with him and his girlfriend in the cabin. But I just wasn't sure if there are other options....

Thanks
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 12:31am PST 
First, you need to look at the import requirements.
1. ISO compliant microchip or you'll be required to bring your own scanner.
2. Vaccination requirements for Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Leptospirosis, (DHLPP) and Rabies within the last 12 months or a minimum of 4 weeks before arrival.
3. EU Vet Health Certificate (Form EC#: 998) that can only be filled out by accredited vets. To find a listing of those you will need to look HERE. The area vet in charge for your state (or actually your Dad's state) can tell you who is accredited.
4. USDA export form with endorsement (APHIS form 7001). You will have to provide them with * Microchip Implantation Record
* Rabies Certificate
* Vet Letter
* EU Vet Health Certificate
Must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. This form is only good for 10 days. Depending on how far they are from their state Department of Agriculture office, this can be a major PITA and stressful.

They can put both dogs on one APHIS forum (it has space for up to 10 animals I think).

Honestly, given that they are Pugs, you would be better off waiting until they can come in-cabin vs as cargo. Summer heat embargoes (for animals traveling as checked baggage or cargo) go into effect when the temps are over 85. Most airlines are adopting a strict policy about when Brachy breeds (including Pugs) are allowed to travel due to the high number of deaths. Plus, if you use a pet relocation service, you will find it VERY expensive.

Make sure that you have your Dad reserve their in-cabin spots as soon as he buys his tickets as spots are limited.
[notify]
Phoebe

Oh the Feebs!

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 1:20am PST 
Thank you so much for the information. We knew about all the forms, but the EU Health Certificate was new to me, so I will look around here for accredited vets.

We talked to a couple of pet relocation services, and they were rediculous.

I will let my dad know when he buys his ticket, contact them about the pugs.

Thank you so much for you information! I guess I am going to be waiting until September to see them. frown Better late then never!!!
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 2:07am PST 
On the up side, they don't require the FAVN and an up to six month wait that some countries do. South Korea is adopting that sort of policy starting December 1 from what I've been told (by someone who is in the pet relocation business).

Just remember that if he decides not to bring the girlfriend, there will be a problem; most airlines limit in-cabin to one pet per person.

As for relocation service pricing,trust me, I know. I inquired when I had to make the trip over here by myself. The average quote was $5K+ for Bretta (70# Malinois). I know someone who had to use one to send her 7 dogs home (she went on a major adoption streak while over here). It wasn't cheap.
[notify]
Drifter

Will work for- food or cuddles.

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 2:45pm PST 
"Vaccination requirements for Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Leptospirosis, (DHLPP) and Rabies within the last 12 months or a minimum of 4 weeks before arrival. "

Where did you see that one needs this? I'm moving with my dogs to Germany as well, and neither Delta nor the German embassy say anything about needing this.
[notify]